What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 and Hurricane Ridge

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
If there can be said to be some small benefit to all the excessively warm weather we have had in the Northwest lately, it is that the resulting air mass is very smooth and calm.

I went out to Pt. Angeles and Hurricane ridge and got some decent video. I was even stalked by a naked (unpainted) 747-8. It was flying in the same area only a couple thousand feet above me. It was kind of cool until I realized that it was going to pass right over me and that put me in a position I definitely did not want to be in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAdaRUixuE&list=UU8DzqKZaTi2JLrVsCtPhp6Q

Wow, if I lived up there with those conditions I'd never be on the ground!

Absolutely spectacular.

If you notice as I head in toward the mountains there is a river with very large sand bars. That is one option. At all times from where I was there is lowering terrain in at least two different directions.

Available "good" landing areas are few and far between, even in the low lands. The additional risk of the mountains is minimal, but it is a risk.

Because of the perspective and zoom on the camera it is difficult to judge altitude. I was actually never less than 2,000 from the hard jagged things. I would love to get closer on a day like this, but for the reason you point out I am too chicken.

Back