What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AH-64D

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Im on my way up to RV headquarters and stopped in Boise to see my son and his family. I met my son at the airport where he took me out to see his "plane".
photo3_zps51fa24cd.jpg
[/IMG]
photo4_zps2bb93b0a.jpg

The glass panel was amazing - even had a keyboard. I can't even imagine trying to learn everything on the Apache. I got to see some videos of hellfire missiles. What fun!

One landed here a couple of years ago, low on fuel.

The firepower aboard is enough to level a small town!

Regards,

Big

Exactly my thoughts - that thing is big! Sure would not want to be on the wrong end of that beast.

Great pics Rock!

Is it available in an "A" model quickbuild?

HA!:p That's hilarious!

Nice to see you're out having fun, Rock. Just think... when you bird's done you can fly up to see him "just because." Keep pounding those rivets and I'll do the same.

I did some EE consulting for Boeing in the past and I was lucking enough to tour the factory in Mesa, Az. While I was there several aircraft were in various stages of assembly. None with weapons installed. Quite an impressive aircraft. One thing that struck me at the time was not how big it was but how narrow the cockpit / crew area was.

nice to have on our side

I have had the opportunity to rely on their skills and fire power. Always a welcomed site, especially following me into a landing zone. I have not flown with your son, but tell him thanks anyway.

Five of these bad boys followed me into Salem OR yesterday. They are impressively big. I was also amazed at the lack of rotor wash as they taxied around me. I had not tied down yet and I was expecting a big blow but it was a mild breeze at worst. I thanked the pilots for that.
They where ferrying these brand new birds from Arizona to joint base Lewis McCord. I should have asked, do they have an Uncle Sam credit card? That had to be a bunch of JetA.
Oh, it's RV related because I was in my RV... there, does that count?

ri8dhg.jpg
[/IMG]

Apache

One of our children's friends was at a nearby airshow and we were lucky enough to catch him so the grandkids could see it. Awesome to watch him preflight and see the gun turret turn with his head movement. Then to watch him take off and wave to the kids was priceless. It looks like a grasshopper lifting off. Thanks to all our military for what theey do.

Five of these bad boys followed me into Salem OR yesterday. They are impressively big. I was also amazed at the lack of rotor wash as they taxied around me. I had not tied down yet and I was expecting a big blow but it was a mild breeze at worst. I thanked the pilots for that.
They where ferrying these brand new birds from Arizona to joint base Lewis McCord. I should have asked, do they have an Uncle Sam credit card? That had to be a bunch of JetA.

Walked out of my hangar to see who was making all the noise and 5 flew over Reno yesterday morning headed north. I'm betting it's the same ones.

Yes, we do get a gov't credit card when we go on the road. Most FBO's buy you lunch or give you free stuff for buying gas from them. We took 10 F-18's cross country (headed out for deployment) and completely drained an FBO. They had to call over reinforcments from a competitor. Everyone was happy with us being there that day.

The chain gun is interesting. It was quite a departure for Hughes Aircraft/Helicopters to develop, and I remember it's firing range at the Hughes Ciulver City plant in the 70's and 80's.

It was noisy...:)

IIRC as soon as the Apache was selected by the US Army the facilities were moved to Mesa - the location of flight testing - and then the company was sold to Boeing.

As was previously stated, when the one was open for viewing at CopperState my first impression was also how large it was, much bigger than the TOW Cobras I briefly worked on.

Last edited:

ri8dhg.jpg
[/IMG]

If these were new and heading to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, they were the newest AH-64E Apache Guardians....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73-6xVSUrA

You are right!

you are right, they are what was called the Apache Block III. The vast majority will be remanufactured from older Block I and Block II aircraft. They are a big improvement with larger engines, different gear box and rotor, plus a huge increase in computational power with the new Mission Processor.

Been to Mesa a lot during development and saw the full production line going in January. I am a fixed wing guy with 22 years in test in the USAF on F-4s, -15s, and -16s so it was interesting seeing all the details on the Apache and how function trumps aerodynamics....

I mange the new Integrated Helmet and Sight Subsystem (IHADSS) for the Block III and the new helmet (AAIH - Apache Aviator Integrated Helmet) for defense company in Fort Worth. Wish I could get a flight in one!

I should have asked, do they have an Uncle Sam credit card? That had to be a bunch of JetA.

Each aircraft does have its own fuel card. We can only hold 500 gallons max so usually only take on about 400 on a stop. The FBOs have a contract worked out with the military and only make about $.40 a gallon on us. $160 is nothing compared to a Gulfstream taking a few thousand gallons at full price. They usually give us a crew car and don't charge ramp fees, but won't go that far out of the way for us.

From what I have been briefed, the engines are the same however we are getting better gearboxes and more efficient rotor blades to take advantage of the engines we have. Also we are finally getting an IMC rated aircraft again with the block III.

We took 10 F-18's cross country (headed out for deployment) and completely drained an FBO. They had to call over reinforcments from a competitor. Everyone was happy with us being there that day.
There's nothing like a Sky Crane positioning xc for a fire. It's like a giant moneybag plumping into little FBO's every 300 miles.

Mesa, AZ

I only live 2 miles from the Boeing Plant. I get to see these beautiful birds fly on a regular basis. I believe it was Hughes than sold to McDonald Douglas before Boeing. I worked there in the 90's and we were McDonald Douglas at that time.

The company I once owned makes the fire control box for the Apache and still makes them today.

Each aircraft does have its own fuel card. We can only hold 500 gallons max so usually only take on about 400 on a stop. The FBOs have a contract worked out with the military and only make about $.40 a gallon on us. $160 is nothing compared to a Gulfstream taking a few thousand gallons at full price. They usually give us a crew car and don't charge ramp fees, but won't go that far out of the way for us.

From what I have been briefed, the engines are the same however we are getting better gearboxes and more efficient rotor blades to take advantage of the engines we have. Also we are finally getting an IMC rated aircraft again with the block III.

The AH-64E uses the T700-GE-701D versus the -701C and is rated for 1994 SHP. It weighs 456 lbs w/o transmission. About the same as my 260hp O-540!

The AH-64E uses the T700-GE-701D versus the -701C and is rated for 1994 SHP. It weighs 456 lbs w/o transmission. About the same as my 260hp O-540!

I fly 701Ds every single day in our Block II AH-64Ds. Haven't seen a 701C in a few years. There are a lot of changes with the Block III, engines aren't one of them.

Amazing AC

Also living not too far from the Apache plant we see them often. I work at Casa Grande airport and they are regulars for the IFR approach here. Big, loud and BAD!!! Flying medical helicopters we occasionally fly the corridor through the Goldwater gunnery range. I've seen Apaches shooting stuff. Pretty cool stuff.

Years ago I had a ride set up in one when I was with our Sheriff's air unit based at Falcon Field where Boeing is located. Sadly there had been some incidents at Rucker and they cancelled all non Military riders:(

Thank your son for his service to out country. Put the Apache to good use!!!

Years ago I had a ride set up in one when I was with our Sheriff's air unit based at Falcon Field where Boeing is located. Sadly there had been some incidents at Rucker and they cancelled all non Military

It's kind of like having 1 front row season ticket to your favorite sports team. It's awesome, but you never get to show any of your friends how awesome. It's not just non military. We can't even fly pilots of other army helicopters anymore, unless we get a 2 star general to approve the flight. It is a 2 pilot helicopter, and both must be rated apache pilots.

Also living not too far from the Apache plant we see them often. I work at Casa Grande airport and they are regulars for the IFR approach here. Big, loud and BAD!!! Flying medical helicopters we occasionally fly the corridor through the Goldwater gunnery range. I've seen Apaches shooting stuff. Pretty cool stuff.

Years ago I had a ride set up in one when I was with our Sheriff's air unit based at Falcon Field where Boeing is located. Sadly there had been some incidents at Rucker and they cancelled all non Military riders:(

Thank your son for his service to out country. Put the Apache to good use!!!

Hey RV7Guy we need to meet up sometime. I am sure we have mutual friends in the valley. I would love to look at your RV-7 sometime.

Gib

The test pilots used to give Boeing employees and random dignitaries rides during international airshows. I know quote a few Boeing crew chiefs who got sick during the rides haha.

Back