What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sling 2 vs RV-12

NovalKid

I'm New Here
Hey all! Being an RV enthusiast like most of us, I came across the Sling 2 recently and was wondering if anyone on this forum ever done an extensive comparison between both, i.e.: build time, kit quality, instructions quality, builder proficiency requirement level, support (company, forum, etc.), prices... And of course the usual aircraft handling components, i.e.: range, performance, cost per hour, reliability, winter/summer conditions, etc.

Maybe someone here had the chance to build both?

Thanks.,
Luc.

Hey all! Being an RV enthusiast like most of us, I came across the Sling 2 recently and was wondering if anyone on this forum ever done an extensive comparison between both, i.e.: build time, kit quality, instructions quality, builder proficiency requirement level, support (company, forum, etc.), prices... And of course the usual aircraft handling components, i.e.: range, performance, cost per hour, reliability, winter/summer conditions, etc.

Maybe someone here had the chance to build both?
That's an excellent question.
The Sling 2 is starting to gain traction in North America.

Sling 2

After I finish my RV-12 I plan to build the Sling-4 and power it with a Vikingaircraftengine.com. The Sling aircraft are on par with Van,s with the addition of their software program. For the Sling 2 I would stay with Van,s RV-12

A quick look shows Sling 2 at 820# empty, so if built ELSA, then useful is 500#. Add 39 gallons of fuel @ 249# and you only have 250 lbs left for two people & luggage.

The RV-12iS is 775# empty with 545# useful. 20 gallons fuel @ 126# leaves 419# for two people & luggage which is more doable with Americans packing on the pounds on these days...

A quick look shows Sling 2 at 820# empty, so if built ELSA, then useful is 500#. Add 39 gallons of fuel @ 249# and you only have 250 lbs left for two people & luggage.
A closer look at the Sling 2 perhaps . . . you are aware the Sling 2 can be built and registered as E-AB, right?
Fuel capacity is 39.6 usg, but that doesn't mean you have to fill it up. Figure 20 [email protected] gph. (912iS)=5.26 hrs.
In E-AB configuration, it has a MTOW of 1540 lbs. E-LSA or E-AB, that is the designed and engineered weight.
Those that are currently building the Sling 2 are also choosing to equip the airplane for IFR. Garmin G3X and GTN 650 (GPS RNAV, VOR and ILS).
Engine choices are 912 ULS, 912iS and 914.
For an additional $17,000, a quick build option is available.
Slider canopy is standard. It is a great looking airplane.
I see a viable competitor there, with the RV-12.

Last edited:
A closer look at the Sling 2 perhaps . . . you are aware the Sling 2 can be built and registered as E-AB, right?
In that configuration, it has a MTOW of 1540 lbs. E-LSA or E-AB, that is the designed and engineered weight.
Those that are currently building the Sling 2 are also choosing to equip the airplane for IFR.
Engine choices are 912 ULS, 912iS and 914.
For an additional $17,000, a quick build option is available.
Slider canopy is standard. It is a great looking airplane.
I see a viable competitor there, with the RV-12.

Having ?built and supported in USA? is a major plus point for me..

I visited both factories late last year. I was looking to purchase the factory SLSA version of the -12iS. Sadly, Van?s didn?t have any pricing for the new RV-12 iS SLSA. I was told October, which then became January. To date, I haven?t seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.

Luckily I scheduled a visit to TAF the same week. The Sling 2 flys just as nicely as the -12. Very stable in both pitch and roll. Like the -12, the Sling meets the top end of all LSA parameters. The biggest difference, it looks and feels way more solid than the -12 and most other SLSA?s I?ve demo?d. Both Van?s and TAF got it right. I flew it, I bought one, awaiting delivery. Had I opted for the RV, I?d still be waiting, most probably sometime the end ?18 or early ?19.

From what I?ve seen of their (TAF) kits, there quality is excellent, better When you add the addition of the app to assist parts tracking.

You won?t be sorry with either.

I visited both factories late last year. I was looking to purchase the factory SLSA version of the -12iS. Sadly, Van?s didn?t have any pricing for the new RV-12 iS SLSA. I was told October, which then became January. To date, I haven?t seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.

Luckily I scheduled a visit to TAF the same week. The Sling 2 flys just as nicely as the -12. Very stable in both pitch and roll. Like the -12, the Sling meets the top end of all LSA parameters. The biggest difference, it looks and feels way more solid than the -12 and most other SLSA?s I?ve demo?d. Both Van?s and TAF got it right. I flew it, I bought one, awaiting delivery. Had I opted for the RV, I?d still be waiting, most probably sometime the end ?18 or early ?19.

From what I?ve seen of their (TAF) kits, there quality is excellent, better When you add the addition of the app to assist parts tracking.

Good report.
Thank you.

To date, I haven’t seen anything on pricing for the factory built iS, although kits are available. Bad business decision IMO.

It has also been learned (by experience) that issuing info (particularly pricing) before it has been nailed down is bad for business.

Technically, only partial kits are currently available for the RV-12iS. Someone can not purchase a complete kit and take delivery of the entire thing at once.

That makes it hard to price out what a completed S-LSA version will cost since it is essentially built from the standard kit.
Fortunately, development progress has been able to stay ahead of the rapid progress E-LSA kit builders have been making. the powerplant kit prices are now on the web site and the last kit (avionics) is being finalized right now.

Luc,
I?m a -12 owner/builder. I have had several opportunities to take a close look at the Sling (at F70 where a few have been assembled)). Very impressive! There is also an optional recovery parachute, if that safety feature is important to you. If I had it to do over again, the sling would be very high on the list.
Alex

. . . I’m a -12 owner/builder. I have had several opportunities to take a close look at the Sling (at F70 where a few have been assembled)). Very impressive! There is also an optional recovery parachute, if that safety feature is important to you. If I had it to do over again, the sling would be very high on the list.
Those that have built the Sling 2, also, closely, considered the RV-12. They have reported that the quality of the kit is excellent.
That speaks for itself.

The two airplanes can be compared next week at Sun n' Fun.

Last edited:
From Sling Factory website... The Sling?s flying characteristics make for a perfectly coordinated, highly responsive control setup. This gives her the distinct qualities of a fighter jet aircraft, while not being overly sensitive. Aviation writers have called it ?the best-handling LSA? and said that it ?handles like a fighter?.

This followed by photo of plane in 45 degree banking turn approx 50' elevation and hundreds of feet left of runway centerline.

I think maybe a better story could be told...
-
25jf38g.png

Got to say I appreciate the fact that we can have threads like this and not be slammed for talking about the other guy. It is very helpful in getting different perspectives as I still figure out what I am going to do.

Far too many of the other places I visit will get a thread shut down under the auspices of going off topic. Aka don?t talk about anything but us.

Without question, the RV-12 is certainly a fine little airplane.
That withstanding, I think competition is a good thing for consumers, as well as, the light sport industry in general.

Probably a little unfair to compare the Sling 2 and the RV-12 too closely as the Sling is not primarily an LSA since it's designed to the VLA standard. It can meet the LSA criteria but has to give up 100kg of load capacity to comply with the 600 kg (1320lb) LSA limit. However, it is certainly a nice looking aircraft with some impressive long distance flights to its name and reportedly excellent handling qualities. I haven't flown one but have had a close look at one built locally.
Was seriously thinking about building one instead of the 12 a few years ago but it was quite a new design at the time from a small company in South Africa that I didn't know much about so decided against it. Besides, it wasn't an RV.

Parts availability

One thing to consider when deciding between the two aircraft is the availability of spare parts.

One Aeroclub I'm a member of has 2 Slings; fantastic aircraft by all accounts although I've not flown one.

We recently had an issue with a pilot overusing the brakes which consequently transmitted excessive heat into the gear leg.

AUD$6000 later and $2000 to remove and refit and it was airborne again.

Vans can be pretty much ordered off the shelf...

Spare parts

One thing to consider when deciding between the two aircraft is the availability of spare parts.

One Aeroclub I'm a member of has 2 Slings; fantastic aircraft by all accounts although I've not flown one.

We recently had an issue with a pilot overusing the brakes which consequently transmitted excessive heat into the gear leg.

AUD$6000 later and $2000 to remove and refit and it was airborne again.

Vans can be pretty much ordered off the shelf...

Sorry for any blinding statements of the obvious. Like many of you all, I owned an European Built SLSA and at the time it had the most SLSA aircraft in the field, and, just ok, US support. I felt unsupported as far as; long, long, long, order ship time. “The parts are always en route, in some container, somewhere”. Eventually the parts arrived. But thoughts of unloading had formed. Felt kinda naked for parts and unique systems support. I guess I could have devalued it and gone ELSA. I sold it and went with VAN’s just because of their Fantastic and richly deserved reputation for superior engineering and parts support. I hope my last SLSA company gets back in the competition, don’t think they can without an ELSA/EAB entry. Perhaps Sting and VANs could merge/blend their wares, cut the price point, and run away with the training market? They could do what the CUB did for GA way back when..Last note; I’d have hoped that new high wing cousin of VANs could have done that, but good parts and support can’t makeup for small usefull loads. All before just MHO. Doug

Last edited:
While I certainly don?t mind reading reports on here about competitive options, I don?t have any regrets having recently started my RV 12 project. While this aircraft certainly looks nice, I don?t see that the potential advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. This is just my opinion and I respect others who have a different opinion.

As far as being able to get an SLSA sooner than the RV 12is, if that?s your number one criteria then move forward. But if you plan to own the aircraft for a while, you have to be taking some risk there with Vans vs the competition in regards to long term support. Again, the support from other manufacturers may be outstanding and I hope it is. But for me there is no question what kind of support you?ll get from Vans. I?ve already had technical questions and needed to order replacement parts that I messed up and the response has been second to none.

Don?t get me wrong, I love seeing options and I considered many others when I was doing my research. As someone else said, competition is good. But I am still glad I chose the RV 12 for my project.

While I certainly don?t mind reading reports on here about competitive options, I don?t have any regrets having recently started my RV 12 project. While this aircraft certainly looks nice, I don?t see that the potential advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. This is just my opinion and I respect others who have a different opinion.

As far as being able to get an SLSA sooner than the RV 12is, if that?s your number one criteria then move forward. But if you plan to own the aircraft for a while, you have to be taking some risk there with Vans vs the competition in regards to long term support. Again, the support from other manufacturers may be outstanding and I hope it is. But for me there is no question what kind of support you?ll get from Vans. I?ve already had technical questions and needed to order replacement parts that I messed up and the response has been second to none.

Don?t get me wrong, I love seeing options and I considered many others when I was doing my research. As someone else said, competition is good. But I am still glad I chose the RV 12 for my project.
The long term support is of upmost importance.
Enjoy the build, Tony.

After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling. Being both are metal airplanes, a repair, god forbid, is easy to accomplish with either. The only issue I?ve noted, would be replacement down the road of canopy or windscreen. All other parts are readily available. Avionics are all Garmin, the engine ROTAX.

After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling.
What is your comparison on landings?
Does the Sling have stiff legs?
The RV-12 seems very forgiving. Would you say the same for the Sling?
What about brake performance? I believe both are equipped with Matco's, eh?

After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling. Being both are metal airplanes, a repair, god forbid, is easy to accomplish with either. The only issue I?ve noted, would be replacement down the road of canopy or windscreen. All other parts are readily available. Avionics are all Garmin, the engine ROTAX.

Firewalls and nose gears/mounts too!

What is your comparison on landings?
Does the Sling have stiff legs?
The RV-12 seems very forgiving. Would you say the same for the Sling?
What about brake performance? I believe both are equipped with Matco's, eh?

Unlike Van?s, who only lets you fly it once airborne, I was permitted, actually encouraged, to take the plane off, fly it and land it. I was very fortunate to fly the demo with one of TAF?s Directors, who has flown Slings around the world.

Back to landing the Sling, I landed unassisted, very slight crosswind, stable, an absolute joy to fly.

I followed thru on the controls of a -12, on a flight provided by Brent here on the forum, p iOS to my factory visit. So, I have some comparison. I felt the -12 was just as easy control wise in the landing phase.

Seriously, they are both great aircraft, I can?t say or find a negative thing about either. Well, maybe, I always hated the -12?s spartan automotive fuse panel interior, but that ended with the iS cockpit. Every change I had in my head, Van?s implemented in the iS.

How Do you Like Sling?

I'm wondering if you received your Sling and if so how you like it. What do you likes best and least as compared to the RV-12?

Yes! It arrived on the west coast, was reassembled, inspected and received its Special Airworthiness certificate. I flew it back last July. As of today, I?ve got 60+ hours on it, no squarks. I?d probably have more hours had Mother Nature been cooperative here in the northeast.

I?m extremely pleased with it. I flew cross country running 100LL and have run 91 non ethanol unleaded since.

Yes! It arrived on the west coast, was reassembled, inspected and received its Special Airworthiness certificate. I flew it back last July. As of today, I’ve got 60+ hours on it, no squarks. I’d probably have more hours had Mother Nature been cooperative here in the northeast.

I’m extremely pleased with it. I flew cross country running 100LL and have run 91 non ethanol unleaded since.

Did you go with the Rotax 912 iS or ULS motor in your Sling 2 ?

About the only advantage I might give the Sling 2 is that if you fly solo a lot, in moderate turbulence, having 40 gallons of fuel on board vs 20 gallons in the RV-12 will help a bit with not getting bounced around as much, as well as the higher dry weight of 820 lbs... I have been in both, flying... They both felt extremely similar to me, in flight. Due to my weight at 250 #, had to go up with lighter weight female instructor, and not much in the tanks.

Last edited:
Yes! It arrived on the west coast, was reassembled, inspected and received its Special Airworthiness certificate. I flew it back last July. As of today, I?ve got 60+ hours on it, no squarks. I?d probably have more hours had Mother Nature been cooperative here in the northeast.

I?m extremely pleased with it. I flew cross country running 100LL and have run 91 non ethanol unleaded since.

Thank you. Sounds like you are doing well with it.

Did you go with the Rotax 912 iS or ULS motor in your Sling 2 ?

About the only advantage I might give the Sling 2 is that if you fly solo a lot, in moderate turbulence, having 40 gallons of fuel on board vs 20 gallons in the RV-12 will help a bit with not getting bounced around as much, as well as the higher dry weight of 820 lbs... I have been in both, flying... They both felt extremely similar to me, in flight. Due to my weight at 250 #, had to go up with lighter weight female instructor, and not much in the tanks.

I went with the 912 ULS. I didn’t want to deal with having the added expense of purchasing a dongel for maintenance and more importantly, deal with possibility of needing a premature OH of the gear box on the iS. Please, no flaming, Rotax is fantastic and they are doing all they can, but the 912 iS, was still having gearbox teething issues when I ordered my plane. It may have been solved by now.

Last edited:
Sling

I'm training in a Sling out of KTOA. No RV-12s available for flight training here in Southern Taxyafornia. Building an RV-12. Can't compare the two as I am not yet experienced enough to do so. BUT - the Sling has a tail dragger option - I saw it with my own two eyes! Not for me but I think that there are a few of you out here who would opt for the RV-12 tail dragger if there were such an airplane. Van's?

On a lighter note, a few years ago, I sent a note to Kitplanes Magazine suggesting that they run a side by side evaluation. Still hope to see that happen some day as these two aircraft have many outstanding but different qualities.

Back