What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip lens replacement

WyoDave

Well Known Member
I need to replace the wing tip lenses on my RV-6. The wing tip part number is W-415-L. Van's tells me they no longer carry replacement lenses for this wing tip. Does anyone know where I could get them?
I believe a W-415-L what is known as a "Hoerner" wing tip.

Last edited:
FlyLEDs has the lenses. I just bought them along with the lights to install in my flat top tips. They don't make the metal ribs any longer either so I'm building my cove out of fiberglass.

Dave, my RV-6 has those lenses, I believe. The kit that I have came with the wing tips circa 2001 and is from RMD Aircraft Lighting, 3648 S.E. Roanoke Ct., Hillsboro, Oregon. No phone number. At the time, I believe they were one of Van's suppliers. Perhaps you can do a search and find something on them.

Be sure and post here if you have any success! Thanks.

Edit: Just did a quick search on RMD and came up with the following: http://www.rmdaircraft.com/otherrv.htm

These are the wingtip lenses that I have on my RV-6.

Last edited:
Possible lead, Sound Mfg

FlyLEDs only has one set of the lenses left and will only sell them with the lighting upgrade. I'm sure it's a worthwhile upgrade, but I can't justify the money/time right now for the whole thing. For now, I just need lenses.
After numerous emails/phone calls, I was put in contact with Sound Mfg. Apparently they made some of these lenses for Vans. I'm still waiting to hear from them regarding their willingness to do a pair for me. Perhaps flyleds or others in the lighting business would want to buy some so that they can offer kits for this style of wing tip. If Sound can't do it, I'll contact Pat Hatch's suggestion.
I'll update as I have updates.
Thanks!

I might have what you are looking for

Does the fiberglass insert for your lens cover form a 90 degree angle or is it angled back to about 120 degrees? If it's the 90 degree version then I have a new, unused set of VA-148 lens that I'd part with. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

David

I'll double check

DeltaTango, in the photos I have it appears to be 90 degrees. But to be sure, I'll drive out to the airport and take a look. To be continued...
Thanks much!

I suspect Cee Bailey or someone like that would love the opportunity to serve thousands of legacy Van's customers with replacement parts.

Last edited:
Found some lenses!

It looks like DeltaTango has got me fixed up with a set of replacement lenses at a more than fair price! Thanks, DT!

For others that may be in need of these lenses, apparently Sound Mfg. (Kent, WA) made some of these lenses for Vans and may be willing to make more if there is interest. Also, RMDAircraft made some which were subsequently sold to Knots 2 U. One of these companies may be able to help if you find yourself in need of these.

They're back

Hey folks, just wanted to let you know that we managed to get a run of these made by the folks that have the tooling for it. Should be the exact same part that Van's was putting out.

There was some discussion in other threads about material. These are polycarbonate, according to the manufacturer.

You can find them and order on our site here: https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/7221.htm

PS - the other lenses linked earlier in this thread are indeed for a different wingtip and will not fit with the W-415

Any solutions yet?

I have the W-415 flat topped Hoerner style wing tips and I am in need of replacement lenses. Has anyone found a source for these yet? The fiberglass insert on mine are relatively small and the aft part is raked back about 120 degrees. It's definitely not the RMD style. Does anyone have contact info for Sound Mfg?

Thanks!

The vertical piece above the lens is a strobe light fence of my own creation.

47024025394_716400bb78_c.jpg

47024025774_ba528e6274_c.jpg

Polish Out the Haze

The answer is in the post right above yours. The lens they sell looks just like what I got in the kit.

I have the same tips as you (mine are from 1997) and I had good success polishing out the haze with Flitz. I'm sure other plastic polishes would work well too. So that's another option.

Beautiful paint btw.

I have the W-415 flat topped Hoerner style wing tips and I am in need of replacement lenses. Has anyone found a source for these yet? The fiberglass insert on mine are relatively small and the aft part is raked back about 120 degrees. It's definitely not the RMD style. Does anyone have contact info for Sound Mfg?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The answer is in the post right above yours. The lens they sell looks just like what I got in the kit.

I have the same tips as you (mine are from 1997) and I had good success polishing out the haze with Flitz. I'm sure other plastic polishes would work well too. So that's another option.

Beautiful paint btw.

Hi Laird. Thanks for your response. I ordered those from Flyboy and they were not the correct ones. I had to return them. I?ve been on the phone with them a couple of times and they don?t carry those same lenses.

The problem isn?t polishing them. The problem is that someone bumped into my airplane an actually broke the lens. I have another lens that has a little melted depression from the heat generated by the incandescent lamps which I am replacing with LEDs soon.

Thank you for the compliment on my paint job!:)

LENS COVER

Hi David

Did you sell this? I'm in need of the left one, had no idea they were not available.

Dan

Thanks!

The vertical piece above the lens is a strobe light fence of my own creation.

47024025394_716400bb78_c.jpg

47024025774_ba528e6274_c.jpg

those look like the ones cheif sold years ago, i had a set on my first set of wing tips. they are unavailable as far as I know. i cracked mine and ended up getting new tips when i put the flyleds in. I have thought about making a set of molds and pulling a few.

those look like the ones cheif sold years ago, i had a set on my first set of wing tips. they are unavailable as far as I know. i cracked mine and ended up getting new tips when i put the flyleds in. I have thought about making a set of molds and pulling a few.

I also used the lenses from Chief. That was before Vans introduced the tips with the recessed light arrangement.

Back