What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Service Instruction: Super Plus non aviation fuel

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi all on April 6th 2017 Lycoming issued the service instructions 1070V.
The IO-540 D is listed to use super plus automotive fuel with an additive.

"WHEN USING THE AUTOMOTIVE FUELS IDENTIFIED IN TABLE 2, LYCOMING OIL ADDITIVE P/N LW-16702, OR AN EQUIVALENT FINISHED PRODUCT SUCH AS AEROSHELL 15W-50, MUST BE USED."

Given the fuelprices in Switzerland and most of Europe and availability of 100LL (Italy) this is great news.

Does anyone have experience operating the -10 with Super plus?
I understand that the rest of the fuel system needs to work with Super Plus as well. The Andair fuel pump and fuel filter is as far as I know also working with Super Plus.
How do you operate your aircraft with Super fuel, currently I fly 100LL always LOP in cruise and decent. I guess that won't be possible due to the detonation risk.
Any experience around? Sharing is appreciated.
Regards
Mike

Last edited:
I am curious as to why the requirement to use the corrosion inhibitor when using the ULP products as defined. That is fertile ground for all manner of Old Wives Tales to be spawned. :eek:

My suggestion for anyone doing this use avgas for takeoff and landing until you know how your system performs in hot weather. The standard RV10/engine will vapour lock readily.

Ernst Freitag has some good posts on this forum on the fuel pump systems he created to avoid this problem.

As always, do not assume that because it apparently works for others it will work for you, especially if you are not sure your systems are identical.

Back