What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Defective Early Oil Coolers

chaskuss

Well Known Member
Going from memory here. Early either Positech or Setrab oil coolers being defective. I seem to remember that the issue was with the inside diameter of the cooling tubes either being too small or too turbulent to allow proper flow and heat transfer. I remember that a number of folks bought them and ended up having them replaced by the manufacturer. I tried to do an advanced search for this but the oldest thread that showed up was 2005. Does anyone remember which brand it was? What models were affected, & what serial number range was affected? I seem to remember the issue being mostly with Builders using the angle valve 360 engines.

Charlie

It was Positech. I had one originally (probably purchased in 1999 or 2000). I think they offered their re-core program in 2001 or 2002. In the interim (after suffering oil cooling problems) I replaced the Positech with a Niagra, so I have the re-cored Positech on the shelf.

I always wondered if they really modified the poor performing coolers, or simply sent out replacements. There was no way to tell on my end.

Back