What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yaw servo feedback requested

JHartline

Well Known Member
For those Garmin folks that installed a yaw servo. How much of a difference is there with the yaw damper function on versus off? I don?t have one installed...figured I could do it later but I?m curious how well it dampens out the turbulence related yawing motion.

Thinking about retrofitting one myself ... already have the wiring, just need to install the bracket and servo.

I have one and it keeps a fair amount of trim force in different phases of flight. It won?t do enough to counter an off-center nose wheel fairing but when that is setup right it works well. I haven?t had to mount a trim tab.

I have one and it keeps a fair amount of trim force in different phases of flight. It won?t do enough to counter an off-center nose wheel fairing but when that is setup right it works well. I haven?t had to mount a trim tab.

I've installed the hardware, but haven't flown the plane yet (a few more months to go). Avoiding the necessity for an ugly external trim tab was a large part of my motivation for the yaw damper in addition to the comfort factor, especially for non-pilot passengers.

I've installed the hardware, but haven't flown the plane yet (a few more months to go). Avoiding the necessity for an ugly external trim tab was a large part of my motivation for the yaw damper in addition to the comfort factor, especially for non-pilot passengers.

Ken,
I might be wrong on this but as I understand it, the yaw dampener has little to do as a trim and trimming system but it works in situations such as turbulence to dampen the yaw.

RVs, once they are trimmed, need very little rudder control other than take off/climb. There are other gadgets that work very well to trim your rudder and avoid a trim tab. I have installed a product very similar to this which works very well. He is not selling it anymore which was half the price of Aerosport and made of aluminum but you can get these rudder trim at Aerosport and avoid any external tab on your control surface.

http://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rudder-trim/

Ken,
I might be wrong on this but as I understand it, the yaw dampener has little to do as a trim and trimming system but it works in situations such as turbulence to dampen the yaw.

That's true, though a damper can also function to alleviate some rudder pressure (think of it as pseudo-trim). I don't know if the G3X system will permit one to designate a new "center" position, but one could certainly rig the damper cables slightly off-center in the desired direction. I'd find that less than desirable, as it would only be optimized for a particular speed/trim condition.

It cannot be selected for trim function but by controlling yaw it does do some trim. It works very well in turbulence.

Back