What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding IO-360 from accident A/C

jask

Well Known Member
I recently acquired an engine for rebuilding from an accident that occurred over 4 years ago. It happened in Florida and was a prop strike at idle. The engine had been handled quite a bit wiith some lost parts during that time but the inside looked really good but the cylinders needed to be rebuilt due to rust. I replaced the crank with new because I didn't want to keep a prop strike crank. The case was checked out with no damage. I did everything that was on the list for a prop strike.

I wanted to find the problem with the engine that began the progress that became an accident.

https://prijet.com/accident/20140812X31830

The engine would intermittently miss for about 2 seconds at a time and only had reduced rpm available. The owner decided to divert to a nearby airport but ended up high and fast resulting in departing the end of the runway with substantial damage. Nothing was found wrong with the engine and the blame was placed on the pilot for a poor approach.

It had dual lightspeed ignition (removed before my purchase) but everything else was stock. The first thing I looked at was the fuel pump and it is frozen. I put well over 100 lbs on the lever and it will not move. I opened it up and see no signs of rust anywhere but something is obviously preventing the diaphragm from moving. A sticking diaphragm not returning to the "home" position would certainly cause a reduced fuel pressure and would result in the engine miss. I am confident that a new fuel pump will fix the engine. I don't think there was much investigation into the engine problem at all after the accident.

If you contact and send the pump to Tempest they will test if for you, then you'll know.

Back