What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for (very) deep spark plug socket?

humptybump

Well Known Member
Looking for a socket which fits tempest spark plugs. These are the plugs with the hex portion right at the transition to the threads. Ideally I?d like a socket which fits a 3/8? drive.

photo of plug ...

TempestSparkplug.jpg

I bought two from Spruce this year. First one was 12-01693, worked fine, but has a magnet to hold the spark plug in. The magnet, I guess, is helpful to avoid dropping the plug, but I personally found it annoying. Next I bought 12-03771 and I like it better. But both work just fine, with Champions or Tempest, and the magnet thing is a personal preference.

Dave, I read the reviews on both sockets. Many of the reviews said the 03771 socket wall is pretty thick and had to be machines down. The 01693 socket appears to have thinner walls and reviews concur.

If the overall length of the 01693 is short enough to fit the snug rear upper plug cowl clearance, I’ll likely go that route.

Glen, I can measure them and report back if you?d like. Might go up to the hangar tomorrow, if not, will for sure on Monday.

Socket

Glen,
I may have one you can have. Give until tomorrow to look through my hangar.
Marvin

Dave & Marvin - thanks for both offers.

I’m not in a huge rush. I’m just going thru my post-engine update notes and have a small list of things I will need before my next condition inspection.

Bobby - one of the reason for the 3/8” socket is so I can get a suitable wobble-r

Marvin, if you do find a spare, it would give me an excuse to stretch out the RV-8 :D

Tempest/autolight

Glen,
I think that tempest plug you have is the same as an autolite. The “nut” is lower than a champion plug requiring the longer socket. I think you need the “T557 Sparkplug Holder”. I have an extra still in the box. I can probably get your mailing address off airnav.com or we can plan a lunch in October.
140aczd.jpg

Last edited:
I just brought a Tempest spark plug to a NAPA store and they found me the right socket. :)

PS; Yes, I did fly to the store...

I just brought a Tempest spark plug to a NAPA store and they found me the right socket. :)

PS; Yes, I did fly to the store...

Of course you flew!

The socket at NAPA is it a thinwall or the thickness of a craftsman socket? The autolite socket is thinner than my craftsman.

Of course you flew!

The socket at NAPA is it a thinwall or the thickness of a craftsman socket? The autolite socket is thinner than my craftsman.

It's a thick one like craftsman. There was a rubber plug inside which confused the sales tech. He was 100% sure that thing fits. Discarded the insert - perfect tool :D

Aircraft Tool Supply

ATS MAGNETIC SPARK PLUG SOCKET
P/N ATS950
Our Spark Plug Socket features a thin-walled design to get into to the tightest confines. Magnet interior guarantees that you won't accidentally drop the plug. Works with all Champion and Tempest Aviation Spark Plugs.
Price:$35.95

But a buddy that has an extra one that he’ll give you, trumps that :)

My historical solution is a highly modified deep impact socket (the black ones) but it’s for a 1/2” drive.

Vlad, I tried the same thing and they looked at me like I was holding a spark plug from the Millenium Falcon.

Marvin - lunch in October sounds like a perfect solution!

Last edited:
ACE Hardware..... Crescent 7/8 in. x 3/8 in. SAE 6 Deep Socket 1 pc.Item no. 2429496
$4.59 Take a plug with you. No rubber grip. no magnet.

You should always remove and start install of plug by hand. Never trust the socket to hold the plug. You risk a higher chance of cross threading the plug if you try to install it with the socket.

Warren - I drive around with an old aircraft spark plug in the tray of my truck :eek:

I’ll stop by an ACE and look for that product.

UPDATE: my local ACE hardware doesn’t carry that part.

Last edited:
Well by now you probably have a lifetime supply of suitable sockets, but for the archives, here is the difference between the two sockets available from Spruce. I prefer the shorter 12-03771, which works in that upper rear plug in my O-360 powered RV6.

spark-plug-sockets.jpg

Dave, thanks.

I have options but not yet a socket of my own :)

I appreciate the photos. The length is critical so, all things being equal, if the 03771 will fit, I would prefer shorter to longer.

I still plan to check out ACE as suggested by Warren. I also plan to sync up with Marvin when our schedule allow.

All good data and I do hope this thread and the recommendations help others.

I found a socket that works with Tempest plugs at one of the local auto stores, would have been either Autozone or Advance Auto, can't recall which. Or it may have been a Kobalt socket from Lowes. As someone suggested, take a plug to your local stores and find one that works.

Dave, thanks.

I have options but not yet a socket of my own :)

I appreciate the photos. The length is critical so, all things being equal, if the 03771 will fit, I would prefer shorter to longer.

I still plan to check out ACE as suggested by Warren. I also plan to sync up with Marvin when our schedule allow.

All good data and I do hope this thread and the recommendations help others.

I need to change my opinion here...... I don't have the socket in front of me, but, the socket that I use does have the top to accept a box wrench. That comes in handy. My socket is short enough to use on any top plug without any interference with the baffles.

I do use a BEAM torque wrench...... it never needs calibration and has a small head to fit on the socket between the baffle even with an 3/8 to 1/2 adapter on the socket. I still think I got it at ACE.

Ordered Item no. 2429496 from ACE Hardware, too short for Tempest fine wire plugs

ACE Hardware..... Crescent 7/8 in. x 3/8 in. SAE 6 Deep Socket 1 pc.Item no. 2429496
$4.59 Take a plug with you. No rubber grip. no magnet.

You should always remove and start install of plug by hand. Never trust the socket to hold the plug. You risk a higher chance of cross threading the plug if you try to install it with the socket.

As the title suggest, the Crescent 7/8 in. X 3/8 in. SAE 6 Deep Socket Item no. 2429496 from ACE Hardware is too short for Tempest fine wire plugs and probably all other aircraft plugs. I ordered online as it was not in stock at any of my local ACE Hardwares. It is only 2.5 inches in length. I may try the local pawn shop next.

Back