What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Privacy

Given the option to eliminate personally sensitive info from my broadcast, I would...

• Withhold ID from the public and the government

Votes: 98 75.4%
  • Withhold ID from public only

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Stick with current system

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Require all aircraft broadcast ownership and performance data all times

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
The ADS-B deadline is rapidly approaching and many of us are now facing a new reality in flying. Many of the prior ADSB threads feature a wide range of opinions and often turn political. This one does not have to go down that path, so long as we respect that others have a right to their opinion.

This poll is simply looking for raw data, not defense of those choices.

That said the premises are simple:

We are discussing flight outside the ATC system (ie, not IFR, not FF, no discrete squawk required)
We are discussing mandated ADSB out systems, not Spot trackers, etc
We are lumping UAT and ES as one
Choice #3 "current system" means ADS-B as proposed today.

Last edited:
Well, 12 hours later and there's an overwhelming (though not unexpected) consensus. Seems people in this day and age consider privacy relevant.

Good to know.

Still running the typical norm of 20% participation though. Would like to see more viewers vote.

Last edited:
This thread needs some posts in order for people to see it and vote.

I voted, but not commenting for either camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't care. It reports your aircraft’s N-number, position, velocity and altitude once per second. I have ADS-B on my laptop. Bought a cheap SDR (Software defined radio) USB dongle and free software. I can see all AC within my area. In theory I can get weather also, but you need to be close to the station that reports weather.

If you are worried about spying:
Cell Phone*
Credit Card
IP connected Smart TV's
IP connected Smart Power Utility Meter
IP devices like wireless security cameras
IP devices like Echo & Alexa voice assistance
Logging onto the internet with your computer or tablet

You know you can go on the web and search N-numbers and pilot names and get all the info you want. Should they hide that?

As far as the poll, what performance are you talking about? Altitude and Speed are main performance parameters. Commercial airlines have AIM's systems and Sat-communications reporting engine and system maintenance status to the airlines and airframe/engine manufactures, looking for tends or potential issues. This is outside of FAA or ATC.

Last edited:
It's your right to not care, just as it is my right to desire privacy. This poll is simply here to find out what the group thinks without the stigma of having to defend their choice in a public forum.

And so far, it's obvious that the overwhelming majority of your fellow pilots value their privacy.

My reply cannot be chosen "would like to be able to choose between these three: anonymous to all, anonymous to all but ATC, public to all" :)

Then you should vote for the first group. We all have the option to relax privacy during flight, but we currently DO NOT have the option to restore it to pre 2020 levels.

Back