What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Sacramento, suggestions on airport?

mdeland

RV friends,
I'll be flying up for a quick business meeting in Elk Grove, CA, just south of Sacramento, CA. Any suggestions on which airport (SAC or Franklin Field or ?) to park my RV9a for a few hours? Any crew cars to use locally?
Thanks, Michael

Exec (KSAC) is just a bit north on the freeway.
Rancho Murieta (KRIU) is a little bit east.
Mather (KMHR) is sort of north and east.
I guess it would depend where in Elk Grove you were going.
Of the three Exec and Rancho are more GA friendly. Mather will have everything you need but the FBO is a little steep on fees.

thumbs up for Mather

I landed at Mather on New Years day two years ago while en route to South Lake Tahoe. I had little kids and the winds were really blowing at Tahoe. I figured it was better to land and wait out the winds than to try and fight the turbulance. The girls at the FBO were great, gave me use a conference room with a big screen tv for the kids while I borrowed the crew car to run out and grab some lunch for everyone.

Turned out the winds.were bad all day so we wound up renting a car on field and driving to Tahoe in the evening. I drove down the next morning and flew the plane up alone in perfectly still morning air. Reasonable tie down fee for the night and the rental car wasn't bad either.

Look on a map. If you're going somewhere on the west side of Elk Grove, Franklin is probably the closest. I doubt you'll find anything like a crew car there, so you'll likely have to call a taxi.

Back