What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Alabama, questions

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
That's right folks, I'm move to LA, that would be lower Alabama (Mobile area).

As reality of this is starting to set in, what am I faced with regarding an airplane? I was fortunate enough to find a local T-hanger so housing for my RV is taken care of. Now comes the fear of the unknown.

What tax implications are headed my way?

Sales tax? (Sales tax was paid in Mississippi on the plane) What if any difference since MS is 3% on aircraft (6% regular tax).
Property tax?
Licensing?

And of course, notify the FAA of my change of residence.

don't worry

Webb,

There should be NO sales tax if you have already paid it in Mississippi. Alabama does have personal property tax and you are required to submit a form by 12/31 indicating the value and location of your aircraft to the local county tax accessor. They will be GLAD to send you a bill for taxes due the next September. That is about all you will have to do. Someone aty the airport you are hangered should be able to help you out. But feel free to contact me if you have questions

Slight correction!

You are moving to East LA, as opposed to SouthCentral LA.

Hope you enjoy. Lots to do and see.

what?

Alabama will/ does charge you personal property tax on everything you own?
like if i moved there and brought my guns and 4 wheelers (2 things that don't need a state reg. sticker to use) and i already paid sales tax when purchased then would alabama want me to pay more yearly tax on these possessions?

like:
guns?
4 wheeler?
motorcycles (dirt bikes and street)?
planes?
small fishing boats?
large boats?

I understand property tax on homes, land, that type stuff, but are yall getting taxed yearly on EVERYTHING you own?
Is it the "honor" system of letting them know you just bought grandpaws antique gun collection for $4000?

Sorry, i am just wanting to know.

Here in texas we have no income tax but heafty property taxes to make that up. Anything you register with state for hwy use gets taxed and they are pulling faa data to chase down airplane tax.

Jeff h
austin tx

You are moving to East LA, as opposed to SouthCentral LA.

Hope you enjoy. Lots to do and see.

Robbie - Gonna have to look at the map again. I could swear that Mobile was on the coast at that was lower Alabama. Don't know about South Central?

Can't wait....Also glad I primed every piece of aluminum on the interior since we're moving to the coast.

No, you don't pay personal property tax on everything, just some things.

All Alabama-based aircraft are taxed as "business personal property", even those used entirely for pleasure. It is done at the county level.

Most municipal airport sponsors supply a list of based aircraft to the county tax office. Some FBO operators have refused to supply tenant lists for FBO-owned hangars. Our local tax office knows how to use the FAA database.

Most of the revenue is earmarked for education. The Alabama Education Association is the most powerful lobby in the state, so property tax reform is a tough sell. Local pilots have gotten bills introduced to exempt antique airplanes, and recently aircraft used for pleasure, but the bills die.

remember to adjust your clock

When you cross over into Alabama from Mississippi, please remember to move your clock forward 10 years.

(hey, people from Alabama only get so many shots to do this.)

When you cross over into Alabama from Mississippi, please remember to move your clock forward 10 years.

(hey, people from Alabama only get so many shots to do this.)

Very generous, I would suggest 20!!!!

Seriously I have meet some outstanding folks here. Friends here give me a reason to fly back this way.

Rodney King?

Hey Webb:

SouthCentral is the bad part of Los Angles. East LA is just Lower Alabama east of the left coast. Just watch those poor confused people in AL. I never could figure out how Auburn could confuse a tiger and an eagle as a team mascot or how Alabama could confuse a wave and an elephant as a team mascot. Just pick one! Must be the water.

All joking aside, have an easy move and enjoy Mobile, it is a neat town.

Robbie - Gonna have to look at the map again. I could swear that Mobile was on the coast at that was lower Alabama. Don't know about South Central?

Can't wait....Also glad I primed every piece of aluminum on the interior since we're moving to the coast.

Hey Webb:

I never could figure out how Auburn could confuse a tiger and an eagle as a team mascot or how Alabama could confuse a wave and an elephant as a team mascot. Just pick one!

May I humbly suggest the Eagle and the Tiger as your pick.

I never could figure out how Auburn could confuse a tiger and an eagle as a team mascot or how Alabama could confuse a wave and an elephant as a team mascot. Just pick one! Must be the water.

It's not the water, could be the heat but not from the sun. Its the heat of battle when it comes to SEC sports.

I'm from KY and bleed blue when it comes to basketball. My wife went to LSU and is a Geaux Tigers nut when it comes to football. Here we are going to be right in the middle of it!!! Not sure how all those team colors will mix.

Have to tell all it's impressive the large family out there when it comes to RV's. And they aren't shy either. As with all moves, you leave some friends and move towards new ones. Thanks to those that have offered out their hand in friendship. Looking forward to telling flying lies with them....er I mean hanger talk.

Back