What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Transition training in a Super Decathlon

smithflys23

Well Known Member
Can anyone comment on how tail wheel training in a Super Decathlon prepared them for flying an RV8? Any help is apprecited!

I did my tailwheel endorsement training in a super decathlon (about 5 hrs) and then did some actual RV-8 training (also about 5 hours) prior to my first RV-8 solo flight.

The former was great for fundamentals, but you really need time in type to get a good feel for the RV overall. The decathlon requires large control movements at slow speed, the RV not so much.

The first takeoff in the RV will catch your attention. My first few landings were dicey, and the first few crosswinds landings especially so. Landing speed is a lot faster.

You also have to really pay attention to bank angle in the pattern and don't get slow and sloppy, or it won't forgive you.

Good practice/experience overall, any tailwheel time is a good thing!

I did my tailwheel endorsement training in a super decathlon (about 5 hrs) and then did some actual RV-8 training (also about 5 hours) prior to my first RV-8 solo flight.

The former was great for fundamentals, but you really need time in type to get a good feel for the RV overall. The decathlon requires large control movements at slow speed, the RV not so much.

The first takeoff in the RV will catch your attention. My first few landings were dicey, and the first few crosswinds landings especially so. Landing speed is a lot faster.

You also have to really pay attention to bank angle in the pattern and don't get slow and sloppy, or it won't forgive you.

Good practice/experience overall, any tailwheel time is a good thing!

Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, it sounds like RV8 specific training requires a trip to Texas. I?ve got a fair bit of experience overall, but just a few tail wheel flights under my belt. I feel comfortable flying the Super D, Just wondering if that experience will translate to the 8.

I had time in a super decathlon prior to taking transition training. The RV transition training was definitely different and definitely valuable.

If getting to a -8 is the problem, you might consider doing transition training in a Grumman AA-1 or a Piper Tomahawk. The pattern speeds, sight picture, sink rate, etc. are similar. Then, you get the tailwheel training with a Citabria or Decathlon. If you can score time in any seat of a side by side RV, that would help.

I had time in a super decathlon prior to taking transition training. The RV transition training was definitely different and definitely valuable.

I completely redid my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria in Ft. Collins, Colorado before finishing my transition training in Bruce's RV-8. It helped enormously as I hadn't flown a taildragger in several years, and got me used to high density altitudes I would be seeing at my home airport in Durango, CO.

Do your transition training in an RV-8. In the RV-8 you really need to pay attention during takeoff and stay small on rudder inputs during landing rollout. The RV-8 is also prone to being a bit squirreley during 3-point landings. It's important to be exposed to and deal with this behavior, as you may not experience it in other RV models.

This is piloting 101 though and nothing special about an RV here. It's no less forgiving than anything else except maybe an Ercoupe.

Super D is an OK tailwheel trainer - approach and landing speeds are very similar to an RV-8. Heavier and a little more sluggish handling on the ground. Super D is almost too easy, but if you get worked over and competent with 3-pointers, wheelies, and x-winds, the RV transition will be very easy. There seems to be a bit of a trend here with posters portraying the RV-8 as touchy and squirrely. Everyone has a different opinion based on prior experience, but they are pussycats as tailwheel airplanes go.

I did about 18 hours of refresher training in a Decathlon and earned my tail wheel endorsement at the same time. It had been many years since my initial flying and I only had around 120 hours total back then prior to the Decathlon.

After that I had about 4 hours in the right seat of an RV-6 before my first flight in the 8.

First flight, and even quite a while after that, was lets just say interesting. Not dangerous, but landings were not pretty. The 8 gear is much more forgiving than that of the rest of the tribe but you can still bounce pretty good if you drop it in even a little.

As said earlier, the control input is completely different than the Decathlon but you'll adjust pretty quickly.

I got my tailwheel endorsement after about 9 hours in the back seat of a L-4 (J-3 Cub with more windows).

Then I got about 80 hours in a Super Decathlon (acro and formation instruction as well as solo acro) and another 10 or so solo in a Citabria. Then about 3 hours transition for the RV-8.

I felt quite confident even though there were a couple of adjustments which have been mentioned in earlier posts (the drop-1-foot-above-the-runway bounce and rudder on rollout)

One of the answers needs to be what ever the insurance company requires.
If any RV works then Jan is within driving distance from you with a RV-6.
I transitioned tailwheel in a Citabria. Fun plane to fly but not an RV.

Training

I own a Citabria and had many hundreds of hours in it. Insurance company still required transition training. RV6 with Mike Seager in Vernonia Oregon was fine with insurance company. Training is cheap and worth the effort.

This is piloting 101 though and nothing special about an RV here. It's no less forgiving than anything else except maybe an Ercoupe.

Super D is an OK tailwheel trainer - approach and landing speeds are very similar to an RV-8. Heavier and a little more sluggish handling on the ground. Super D is almost too easy, but if you get worked over and competent with 3-pointers, wheelies, and x-winds, the RV transition will be very easy. There seems to be a bit of a trend here with posters portraying the RV-8 as touchy and squirrely. Everyone has a different opinion based on prior experience, but they are pussycats as tailwheel airplanes go.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!

One of the answers needs to be what ever the insurance company requires.
If any RV works then Jan is within driving distance from you with a RV-6.
I transitioned tailwheel in a Citabria. Fun plane to fly but not an RV.

I've flown with Jan once, but we've had scheduling conflicts.

If you can handle any taidragger, then you can handle the 8. It does have a couple of characteristic that separates it from most aircraft. If you set up a no power sink rate, it can become interesting when you go to flare. Keep power on and shallow approach till you get used to it. Also, if you get used to pattern work at slow speeds with just you aboard, and then add a passenger, weight, it can Buffett or even snap on you. Practice the slow stuff up high for a few hours. Extra weight requires extra speed, more so than others. One other thing, it is hard to stay of brakes due to design. Pull back toes hard when landing or you’ll be applying brakes on landing.

Last edited:
If you can handle any taidragger, then you can handle the 8. It does have a couple of characteristic that separates it from most aircraft. If you set up a no power sink rate, it can become interesting when you go to flare. Keep power on and shallow approach till you get used to it. Also, if you get used to pattern work at slow speeds with just you aboard, and then add a passenger, weight, it can Buffett or even snap on you. Practice the slow stuff up high for a few hours. Extra weight requires extra speed, more so than others. One other thing, it is hard to stay of brakes due to design. Pull back toes hard when landing or you?ll be applying brakes on landing.

Good stuff. Thank you!

The -8 mostly. I experienced it with the Super D as well but it's mostly an artifact of the -8

Add a little throttle at the flare or keep it on and you'll be fine.

Once you settle the mains on - power off.

I?ve been doing mainly wheel landings in the Super D. I?ve been carrying a little power until the mains are on, slowly retarding to idle, and flying the tail wheel on. Seems a lot more controlled that 3point landings.

I?ve been doing mainly wheel landings in the Super D. I?ve been carrying a little power until the mains are on, slowly retarding to idle, and flying the tail wheel on. Seems a lot more controlled that 3point landings.

I always wheel my -8 on. Once the mains are on I keep the tail up and let it settle on it's own. I get far less zig zagging that way.

Super Decathlon VS. RV-8

I recommend getting transition training in a 6 or 7 over a Decathlon. I earned my PPL in a Citabria and had a fair amount of time in Decathlons and Super D.'s, but i received additional transition training with Mike Seager in an RV-7 before test-flying my -8. The RV's actually have a significantly different feel than the Citabria/Decathlon series of aircraft, especially during landing. The RV's are more pitch sensitive and have a much different rudder sensitivity than the other aircraft. The 6 and 7 behave closely enough to the -8 that transition training in them will prepare you well for the -8.

One previous poster here talked about what a pussy cat the -8 is as a tail dragger, but beware that variation in main gear axle alignment can have a significant effect on how one -8 may feel compared to another. In my experience, an -8 that has a slight amount of tow-in (less than 1/2 degree) on the main gear can feel a bit twitchy and unpredictable during landing roll-out, while one with slight tow-out feels very stable and docile.

Skylor
RV-8

That's interesting about the toe-in-out. I've flown 2x8's and found them dead easy to handle. The 6's & 7's I've flown are similar, I'm talking about proper conventional u/c Vans machines�� With near 40 yrs of driving planes I've not found a more easier & sweet handling machine than a Vans 8. Just beautiful��:) The first one I ever flew was an F1, couldn't justify the expense over an 8, but as they say a rocketship��

Back