What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sparying joints with CorrosionX

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,
i am still trying to figure out the best way to handle a QB kit in salty/humid area.
since QB wings/fuselage are already rivetted, spraing 2 part epoxy will miss the most important areas which are the ribs joints and other.
reading about CorrosionX struck me with an idea, so internally spray 2 part epoxy over all internal parts which are pre-sprayed with P60G2, and to prevent corrosion in the joints, to spary water resistant lube such as CorrosionX on the joints.
Does it makes sense at all?

Thanks
Oren.

If you plan to paint the plane, do not apply Corrosion-X. Wait until after painting.

If you plan to paint the plane, do not apply Corrosion-X. Wait until after painting.

Hi,can you explain?
My intention was for the internal ribs of the wing for example. Does it make sense to spray ? And what is the difference between spraying before paint or after?

Thanks
Oren

CorrosionX

It is a great product...

BUT

DO NOT APPLY IT PRIOR TO PAINT.

If you do, the structure will weep for a long time and the paint will not stick to the treated surfaces.

It is a great product...

BUT

DO NOT APPLY IT PRIOR TO PAINT.

If you do, the structure will weep for a long time and the paint will not stick to the treated surfaces.

Thanks Bob
I was planning on doing all internals of the wing qb with 2 part epoxy, and spray over the epoxy at the joints, to avoid moisture in the joints which I cant apply the epoxy primer.
Any chance it will dissolve the primer?

Can't say

I honestly can't say if it will affect the primer.

I'm not sure as to why you would put CorrosionX over epoxy primer, though. If you are going to spray the epoxy, it is going to form a seal over the joints and the CorrosionX will not be able to penetrate the joints.

You do know that the QB assemblies are primed with P60G2, right?

12 to 24 months

I thought I remember reading that corrosion x only provides protection for 1 to 2 years before it becomes neutralized and ineffective..so like they are all saying, wait until after final paint. Prime whatever you want now, but if you corrosion x anything, you?ll probably regret it when paint time comes!

I honestly can't say if it will affect the primer.

I'm not sure as to why you would put CorrosionX over epoxy primer, though. If you are going to spray the epoxy, it is going to form a seal over the joints and the CorrosionX will not be able to penetrate the joints.

You do know that the QB assemblies are primed with P60G2, right?

I thought about spraying CorroionX, since i was looking for a flexible material. i am concerned that after spraying the epoxy, with the aircraft rattling, the epoxy in the joints will crack i read that boeshield t-9 for example, leaves a flex invisible trace.

as for the P60G2, as i live 2 miles from the coast line, i am seeing 5-6 years metal aircarft with corrosion. not sure what they were primed with , but I am concerned that the P60G2 is not a good enough protection .

Thanks!
Oren.

I thought about spraying CorroionX, since i was looking for a flexible material. i am concerned that after spraying the epoxy, with the aircraft rattling, the epoxy in the joints will crack i read that boeshield t-9 for example, leaves a flex invisible trace.

as for the P60G2, as i live 2 miles from the coast line, i am seeing 5-6 years metal aircarft with corrosion. not sure what they were primed with , but I am concerned that the P60G2 is not a good enough protection .

Thanks!
Oren.

If you feel that you must use Corrosion-X (a good product) on your airplane, make sure to use it AFTER your exterior paint job is finished, as others have said above - or your paint job will be a nightmare....

I?ve seen older airplanes that were treated with Corrosion-X, then later stripped and painted, and there was always issues with the stuff seeping out of k=joints and causing paint problems.

Back