What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuit breaker rating for power plug

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am trying to figure out my VP-X Pro wiring to get as many things as possible their own circuits. I have it nearly figured out but I am left with the power plug being on a 5A circuit or running it separately from the VP-X. I like the idea of having it on the VP-X system for two reasons (uniformity of everything and at-a-glance current going through it). Is 5A enough? I am sure I could find some 12V device that draws 6A or even 20A if I try hard enough, but what's the chance I will bring a microwave with me? Has anyone been through this agony and made a decision that you're either happy or unhappy with?

Most Tablets/Cells Battery Tenders are less than an AMP.
I power a tablet or connect a battery tender through a power plug on a Hot Battery Buss.
The plug is on a 3 AMP fuse.

Just depends on what you intend to power. A heated vest will need more AMPS.

While parallel to your question, it's worth reviewing the following:

I was taught that you size the wire (conductor) according to the load you wish to satisfy and then size the circuit breaker to protect the conductor.

Choose the largest load you think you'll use (then multiply by 1.5???) and select the breaker sufficient to protect the conductor.

FWIW

Back