What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder authority on RV6A

jask

Well Known Member
I am looking at a 6A to purchase that has a 0360 engine and Hartzell cs prop. He mentioned that the power needs to be fed slowly until the rudder will be fully effective at about 40 kits. If full power is added more quickly, the right brake is needed to maintain alignment. Is this normal or is something wrong with the linkage?

I am looking at a 6A to purchase that has a 0360 engine and Hartzell cs prop. He mentioned that the power needs to be fed slowly until the rudder will be fully effective at about 40 kits. If full power is added more quickly, the right brake is needed to maintain alignment. Is this normal or is something wrong with the linkage?

I only have 35hrs of RV time, but I would agree. Maybe not 40 knts, but for the first few seconds sometimes. If I start off with a lot of rudder in, it helps.

I have only 15 hours on mine but have not had any issues. Mine is a O360 that has been converted to fuel injection and ignition with the EFII system. Supposed to be generating 190+ HP. I add the power over 2 to 3 seconds and have no issue with the rudder authority.

Nothing wrong! be happy!
If I apply full throttle to my 1000 horse power dragster I will be inverted in the blink of an eye. Oh wait it doesn't have wings per say. Oh ya my RV-6A is 0-360 Power is good but respect it.
My last plane would turn sideways if you jammed in all the gas at once
I always keep the greasy side down when down low
Happy flying

We have a hot little IO-320 with a constant speed which I?m sure is equal or better than a fixed prop O-360 on takeoff and I have zero issues with rudder on takeoff even if I punch it. It certainly takes more rudder impute but no brake is ever required.

Wondering why you have to "slam" the throttle on T/O on a routine basis (besides the fact that it's FUN! :D)

I learned my lesson on this at an early age, inspecting a prop that had somehow run over a discarded spark plug. Left a 1/2" serrated depression in the leading edge very close to the blades nodal point.

Paved or dirt, unless I lack adequate runway, I accelerate "responsibly" until I'm at a speed that would leave such items to strike the fuselage, if at all.

Agree. EVEN thrust application over a few seconds works best. But you can slam it if you want.
The RV-6 is well behaved compared to some planes in that regard.

if you?re flying a Taildragger doing touch and goes , I know mine surprised me when I lifted the tail as I applied full power , ( that darn P factory we learned about in ground school ) she wanted to put both of us in the corn Feild !!

if you?re flying a Taildragger doing touch and goes , I know mine surprised me when I lifted the tail as I applied full power , ( that darn P factory we learned about in ground school ) she wanted to put both of us in the corn Feild !!

Shoot, a C-120 will do that.

Ed Holyoke

Like others have said, don't jam the throttle full forward. Take 2-5 seconds and
you will be off the ground before you know it. Never do I use the brakes after I
apply the throttle. I have a little over 120hrs of RV6A time.

Full Power T/O

If I line up on the runway , add full power while holding the brakes and then release, the right rudder goes to the floor for about 1 to 2 seconds to keep it straight. It only takes a couple stabs of right rudder after that to keep it down the center line.
o-360 with a fixed pitch prop.

When I fly an RV7 I always over control the rudder for the first hundred feet....LOL

Back