What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buggered Rivet

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
When I built my HS I got to the very last AD4 rivet on the spar and buggered it up. It's the one in the middle for attaching the tab from the most inboard rib. The angle makes it unsqueezable with a squeezer and I horribly mangled it with the gun. I drilled it out and made a mess of that but managed to finally get all the rivet out of the hole. Tried again twice no luck. The hole is now really wanting to be one size rivet bigger.

If I want to set an AD5, what drill bit is used to make the hole? If I want to pull a rivet there, what is the right rivet to get? If I want a cherrymax rivet there, what tool do I need to pull it cheapest?

Another reason I want to upsize is to make sure my hole is round and regular because it is likely not and I don't want a spar problem down the road.

Where are AD5 rivets gotten in small quantities?

All advice appreciated.

A -5 rivet is 5/32 in diameter. The next most common drill size is 21. You might want to consider an "oops" rivet, which will retain the same head size but larger shank diameter so the dimple will still be ok.

Rivets can be had from ACS or Vans but here is the ACS link.

EDIT: I have heard of people pulling a cherry max rivet with a standard gun but it is not easy.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is an AN470 so there is no dimple. I'll look at the link -thanks.

Check with Vans, but a #19 hole and a #8 bolt/nut might be the easiest, and least likely to do more damage, solution for a single hole mistake.

If this is the same area as you are talking about the tab was so mangled that I cut it off and made another tab to fit as suggested by Van's.

Not sure how to link a specific page on my site but the entry was on 2-14-15

AD5 rivets

Where are AD5 rivets gotten in small quantities?

All advice appreciated.

Dudley, do you know what length you need? I have an assortment of AD5 rivets and would be happy to drop a few in the mail for the price of *free* if you tell me approx size and where to send them. Feel free to PM or email me...

Back