What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opening the Fuel Filler Cap

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Has anyone made some neat fuel filler cap opener pry thingie (maybe from wood or hard plastic?) that works, and won't slip and scratch the paint? I have adjusted my cap tightness per specs but still need a screwdriver to get it started opening. Fingernail won't do it.
Thanks,
Bill H, N412BR reserved, engine mounted, cowlings done, saved the fuel tank for last, WAITING FOR SKYVIEW, about to take the fuselage to the paint shop, and wondering if the FAA inspectors will be laid off at the time I'm ready...

Color me old-fashioned but my cap pry device is a 3' piece of 3/16" dowel cut on one end at a 45 angle for prying purposes. Oh yeah, the dowel is marked in gallons and tells me how much is really in the tank. Darker wood will show the fuel level better. Mark the dowel when you do the Dynon fuel-filling exercise.

Jim
RV 12 #264

Most of the time - -

I can get mine up with a finger nail, but other times, I use the hangar door key to get it started. I suppose in time it might damage the key, but if done fairly carefully, it works.

John Bender

You can increase the diameter of the cut out in the tab till your finger just fits. In the older caps, this cut out was a little bigger and it works fine.

cap opener

I bought one from Avery Tools at Oshkosh a few years ago for 50-cents...it fits on my key ring and looks like a very short blade screw driver..its made for opening the gas can...easy, non-scratching...simple...I suspect they still sell them.

FWIW

Avery's out

As of a few months ago Avery didn't have these any more. If they're available again I'd like to have one

Wayne 143WM

keychain opener

I still have several openers left. Email me for details:
[email protected]
oa6e0z.jpg

Beer Can Opener

I use the aluminum beer can opener which looks like the plastic giveaway ones.(the plastic ones don't work) Miller was giving these away at my sons Team USA fund raiser. Light, small, cheap. Ron Russ

I have a much smarter answer...........

Buy Andair lockable caps, glue them in - job done :rolleyes:

Superb build quality, probably available at the show, extra security and so easy to get on and off.

:D

Fuel cap opening tip

When you do open a Van's fuel cap, while the tab is vertical, push down on it. That makes it so much easier to to open and close.

There is a blue plastic (or PVC) opener that is perfect for this. I'm at Oshkosh this week and can't remember the name but if you search the thread history you should find it.

Chris

I'm in talks with the provider of a lockable cap for RVs. The idea is to mod his design to incorporate the breather or design a separate breather system.

Thoughts?

(Mike - RV-12 cap has the breather installed so Andy's caps can't be a direct replacement. You know nuffin'....!! And what you doing here amongst us Mogas Pikeys? ;) )

Back