What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to polish exhaust

wfinnell

Well Known Member
I would like to polish my exhaust pipes like the ones in the Kitplanes link below. I remember someone saying something about using the back of emery cloth, or something like that... at least I think I do.

My question, do you polish exhaust pipes in the normal way, or is there a special trick.

I know, I know, this is considered a waste of time by many, but I enjoy polishing metal.

https://newsline.kitplanes.com/2015/07/22/rv-eye-candy/

Thanks in advance,

A alternative method.

I started to polish mine using a 8? sewn cloth buffing wheel on a large bench type grinder motor. I used black emery coumpound in a stick form applied to the wheel. Takes forever to get a mirror finish and throws a black lint like substance everywhere. Very messy. I found it much easier to just rough up the surface with a extremely course drill mounted 3M pad. The type used to remove paint. Makes it nice and shiny ( not mirror) very quickly and touching up after it discolors from heat cycles is very easy. IMHO. :D

Polished firewall

"Kind of" on the same topic,...what's the recommended procedure for polishing the firewall? I don't necessarily want a mirror finish but I'd sure like for it to be shinier than the stock dull finish.

Mark

Consider a jeweled finish for the firewall. Seen it done before. Pretty easy in that it just takes a circular wire brush or other abrasive in a drill to turn it while contacting the surface at consistent intervals.

I?ve seen a small 3M pad on a arbor chucked into a drill press and a used to polish a RV4 firewall before it was riveted in. Just draw your desired pattern with a sharpie on the firewall and go for it. Set up takes longer than the actual polishing. Only takes a few seconds of pressure on the pad to get the affect. It?s those little extra details that sets a plane apart from the herd. :D

Use Chrome polish, the same as one would use on Mag wheels. Start w/polish on a 3M abrasive pad, then transition to a softer terry towel.

Eezy Peezy.

Back