What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

H Stab riveting advice

jamcgee1978

Afternoon all,
So my friend and I are going to rivet the H Stab tomorrow starting with the front spar and then onto the ribs as per plans. How would you advise riveting such a long piece like the spar to avoid a twist; random rivets along the length or tackle like the trailing edge method. Also any advise rivetting the ribs for best practice construction, I?m confident at this stage with a gun and my trusty tungsten just eager to learn more.

Don?t drop the dolly - lesson 1;)
Cheers
James
Prestwick, Scotland

I made a cradle for mine and riveted it in the cradle.
FP28052011A000BC.jpg

The 14 manual actually calls for making a set of jigs, It probably could fit the 10's stab with little or no modification. It took me about 30 minutes to make, very similar to the stand made by flion just separate pieces that let it sit on a table. You'll have to really work against the process to get a twist.

When I riveted the skins to the front spar I first did maybe every 10th rivet before doing every other rivet down the line. I have no idea if it was actually necessary to do it that way or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I'm not finished rivet the HS yet but it looks pretty straight so far. It seems like since the front spar rests on the nose ribs that things wouldn't line up properly if there is a twist in it, but don't take my word for it.

The best advice I can offer is that when you get to bottom side of the stringers where you can't see the rivets while you buck them, don't forget about this bucking bar if you have one:

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Footed-Bucking-Bar/productinfo/BB30/#.WhyaxrQ-cUs

I did 3/4 of those rivets struggling with my tungsten bucking bar, hoping I was properly positioned on the rivet that I couldn't see before I remembered I had that other bar. It made the last several rivets a piece of cake.

We also used a jig to position the HS correctly and hold the skins in place.

2017-04-07%2016.07.49.jpg

The rivets along the leading edge were the toughest and done first. After that it was easier.

Thanks for the response guys, well we sure nailed it today in sunny Symington, Ayrshire and realised going forward a 2 man operation produces outstanding results. I?m building a -10 & Barry in Glasgow a -8. Jigs already pre built per plans , I finally brought out the suggested bar from my toolbox that has yet been gathering dust, between the Tungsten and the footed we put in a days graft. It was easier my side (gun), Barrys knuckles took the brunt at times....I did break a nail though...seriously thanks a mil for the suggests all taken on board....

Sorry for thread drift

Used to play on the Struthers dairy farm in Symington. I was in Troon and Prestwick a couple months ago and drove past Symington on the A77 coming from GLA. Wondered if their farm was still operational.

Also got to see Killie play at home. Friends from Troon have a son that's a footballer with Kilmarnock.

Sorry for getting off topic but this part of the Motherland was my summer home as a youngster.

Back