- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Default How exactly to obtain a LODA?

Having just arranged to fly with Mike Seager in September for my insurance-required -14A checkout, I've been thinking about offering transition training in my airplane once it's out of Phase I early next year (hopefully).

The insurance is an issue (as I've seen discussed elsewhere), but doesn't seem prohibitive, so long as enough guys want to fly with me in Florida rather than make the long trek to Oregon. Other than Mike, I don't think there are currently any other options for those who specifically need to fly a -14A.

So, the question in the title: how exactly does one obtain a LODA? I gather there's an application to make at the local FSDO, but what's actually involved?

Any comments or input on the whole idea would be gratefully appreciated.

RV-8 N118KB (#81125) - Sold
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Std. kit begun 5/18 - Stick grip wiring, wheel pants, gear leg fairings, and misc. other pre-airport finish-up tasks
Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Send me your email address via a PM. I'll forward you the "application packet". Fill it in, call the FSDO, see if they want you to mail it to them, or if you need to show up in person. These days it should be straightforward (7 years ago I had to educate the FSDO guy).
Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Send me your email address via a PM. I'll forward you the "application packet". Fill it in, call the FSDO, see if they want you to mail it to them, or if you need to show up in person. These days it should be straightforward (7 years ago I had to educate the FSDO guy).
Thanks! Standby for the PM...

RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Std. kit begun 5/18 - Stick grip wiring, wheel pants, gear leg fairings, and misc. other pre-airport finish-up tasks
Old 06-18-2019, 05:09 PM

I'd like to get in on that.

Out of curiosity, could you let us know what you find out about insurance cost?

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)
Old 06-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post
I'd like to get in on that.

Out of curiosity, could you let us know what you find out about insurance cost?
Will do. The first quick take was about double the cost of my personal policy, though Iím still awaiting the official quote on the commercial insurance.

RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Old 06-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Will do. The first quick take was about double the cost of my personal policy, though Iím still awaiting the official quote on the commercial insurance.

Rog. Great you're doing that. I was curious to compare tricycle vs tail-wheel as well when I'm ready.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 AM

All: Iíve been out all day. Iíll send out the application stuff tomorrow am (pacific time).
Double the normal cost sounds about right for insurance.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:14 AM

Default No insurance.

My opinion on insurance is that you don't need the additional outlay.

Just be very careful as to how far to let the trainee go. Don't let him/her smack the ground before taking over. The extra outlay is simply not worth it.

Best,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15 Sold
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20 Sold
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
My opinion on insurance is that you don't need the additional outlay.

Just be very careful as to how far to let the trainee go. Don't let him/her smack the ground before taking over. The extra outlay is simply not worth it.

Best,
Whether or not one steps in quickly during landing practice, one is still conducting training - a commercial activity. Should any claim ensue, maintaining that one wasn't conducting training would constitute insurance fraud. Even if not caught, it's still dishonest. The policy expense is irrelevant.

RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM

One way to go is get liability only. The hull for training is very high (many thousands a year).

I agree with the comment above, keep them in the middle of the envelope. You can't let them "learn" from their landing mistakes. I wouldn't do training in a fully loaded Oshkosh award winning RV. I missed out on buying a beautiful O-320 fixed pitch basic RV6, which would have been perfect for transition training. It was the classic RV as Van intended, simple, light, inexpensive.

The moral dilemma as a CFI, this is NOT a rating or even an endorcement. They are logging instruction on make and model, typically for insurance requirements. If they were really unsafe I'd refund their money. One way to avoid this is make it a prerequisite they are current. For TG, I'd prefer (insist) they have TG experience/endorsement. You can not fail them. It is just training and hours. It is different teaching in a land-O-matic C-152 or C-172 than an RV.

There was only one student I had to quit. He was checking out in the clubs plane as a new member. He scared me so bad I talked to the owner. He backed me up. This guys check also bounced and his application was full of mistakes... He also told me he was an ATP and he was a Private Pilot. Fraud...

I owned a PA23-160 Piper Apache Twin. It was my baby. I gave some dual in it for people to build hours and some experience but not for a rating. I did not want to do engine shut downs.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 06-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.