VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Default Maintaining IFR currency

Wondering about maintaining IFR currency. While my insurance has an open pilot clause, it requires 25 hours in type. There are no RV-10's in my area. I am assuming the safety pilot would need to have those 25 hours. How do you guys handle this who are in this position? Hoping to sell my Cessna, so that will no longer be an option, and would rather do my practice in my long distance machine.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 PM

IMHO, if the safety pilot is NOT the PIC your insurance doesn't care.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolivi View Post
IMHO, if the safety pilot is NOT the PIC your insurance doesn't care.
I learned something interesting last week. According to insurance agent, it is not PIC that they care about, it is who is flying the plane. If you have classified yourself as PIC and your friend is flying, he is considered the pilot by the carrier and needs to meet the policies requirements for pilots. The concept of "classifying" someone as PIC is really an FAA thing and doesn't transfer to the insurance world, as I understand it.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the safety pilot, who is just looking out the window for traffic, but thought I would pass on what I learned.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-12-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 PM

The safety pilot is a passenger who is a pilot with with a valid medical (doesn't need a current BFR). If the safety pilot has a basic med then he must meet all currency and qualification requirements to act as PIC as a required crew member. I fly with a pilot who has a medical, and also have a Redbird TD with the G1000 overlay to mimic the glass panel in my RV8. Being able to fly an approach a day at home (at any airport in the US) really keeps the scan, control skills and approach plate interpretation super sharp. It's now possible, since July of last year, to log FAA approved simulator time for currency.

Last edited by Pilot8 : 03-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 AM

OK, I was thinking that the safety pilot was a required crew member for simulated IFR so would have to come under the time requirements. Glad that is not the case.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Forgot to say... congrats on finishing your plane, getting your airworthiness cert, and getting into phase 1- you've joined an exclusive club!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Just heard from Gallagher, according to them a safety pilot either needs to meet the open pilot clause of a policy or be listed on the insurance. Of course to be listed you need to have had transition training to the model involved. This is a requirement on top of FAA requirements.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenley View Post
Just heard from Gallagher, according to them a safety pilot either needs to meet the open pilot clause of a policy or be listed on the insurance. Of course to be listed you need to have had transition training to the model involved. This is a requirement on top of FAA requirements.
I am hopefull and suspect this is a misunderstanding on the part of the agent you spoke with. If you follow the logic, even getting a BFR would require a CFI with the required hours. Hopefully one of the more senior gallagher ladies will chime in here to clarify. A saftey pilot's role is to "look" for traffic and is not a co-pilot or even a backup for the pilot. Their role is purely traffic observation. Can't see the logic on this one and the insurances companies would do themselves a real disservice by making VFR instrument practice fundamentally impossible. Statistics prove that instrument practice increases proficiency and proficiency reduces accident rates.

I am certain this post will get the phone ringing over at Gallagher and should see a response soon.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-13-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM

I hope it is a misunderstanding. Upon further communication with Gallagher, even a BFR would require a CFI either be eligible to be listed and be listed on the insurance, or meet the open pilot requirements. This is because a BFR has the CFI taking the controls for brief periods of time. My current CFI is ineligible because he has not had transition training, so he could not even be listed.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenley View Post
I hope it is a misunderstanding. Upon further communication with Gallagher, even a BFR would require a CFI either be eligible to be listed and be listed on the insurance, or meet the open pilot requirements. This is because a BFR has the CFI taking the controls for brief periods of time. My current CFI is ineligible because he has not had transition training, so he could not even be listed.
I have my CFII listed on my policy. He had zero RV time when he was added. It didn't change my premium.

I think the person is confusing the safety pilot under vfr and ifr conditions. Under IFR, they are the PIC, but in VFR they're basically just and observer.