What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clean Ground Power Supply Unit (AC to DC)

BDFLYER

Anyone have some recommendations on a power supply providing between 12.5 and 12.7VDC from 110VAC (nominal)? The intent is to supply bus power on the ground (during final avionics fit out and set up) as well as provide a means to provide power to the cockpit for extended ground periods.

The power supply should be outdoor rated if possible (aka: can be set on the ground, connected to the Hella DC power ports to the battery bus, and to the 110VAC cable to power). My preference is a capacity of about 10a, but anywhere between 7-20A is fine.

Years ago, one could buy a 12V Regulated power supply to run D.C. Equipment. Typically they were spec at 13.8 VDC and continuous current. I have a old 2A Regulated power supply that would run a Mobil CB radio. About 10 or 15 years ago, I purchased a 5 Amp version to run an old aircraft band transceiver as a base station in the hangar. Getting one rated to be outside may end being very expensive or you may need to wratherize yourself.

Bench power supply on Ebay

I picked up a used "Tenma" regulated DC bench power supply on EBay for 75 bucks and it has been extremely helpful in the wiring and testing of my aircraft systems. I agree with Gary though, a weatherproof model might be hard to find.

Check out Ham Radio Outlet (http://www.hamradio.com) for HAM power supplies; lots of options. I picked up a 50A Astron switcher for my shore power supply. I'm also a HAM and have had good experiences with this mfgr. The MFJ version above is nice as well.

Ebay. Do a bit of research; there are companies that almost pay you to take them. Fixed output, adjustable, just about any current you may need. Only thing missing is 'water proof'.

Charlie

Back