- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 02:40 PM

Greetings,

It's good to see a recent discussion about cockpit dimensions, but there hasn't been much discussion about headroom. I'm 6'-1" but it's all neck, and my seated height is 39". Legroom is never a problem, but headroom is.

Years ago, I finished an RV-3 project that initially had a sliding canopy fitted, and as I recall, I had no extra headroom. That was a very early kit, and I have to believe canopy manufacture has changed a bit since then. I also know there's some variability in how high it's mounted when installed, so I'm not sure I can go by the way that one fit. I ended up having a custom canopy made by Todd's Canopies (RIP) and changed it to a tip-over.

Now I'm in the market for an RV-3 or -4, and I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind as to measure your maximum headroom. The best way to do it is to sit in the plane with no bottom cushion, and with your head where it would be in level flight. You can estimate the clearance (2 fingers, 3 fingers, etc), then add that to your seated height.

Of course if there are any RV-3s close to East TN, I'll be happy to measure them personally

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Hi Rusty,

Good to see you 'surface' again. Your -3 was here at Slobovia last month for our rotary roundup; Finn has it now, based at Shady Bend.

I'll try to measure my -4 for you, but you'll almost certainly fit in a -4. BTW, I know how fast you can build. Come on down & help motivate me to finish the -7, & I might make you a smokin' deal on the -4. :-)

Are you anywhere near Chattanooga? We drive through there several times a year to see grand daughters in NC.

Charlie
Slobovia Outernational
Old 06-27-2017, 04:46 AM

Hi Charlie,

I've emailed Finn a couple times, so I knew he had it. He missed his chance to sell it back to me now I guess, since I've got a deal made to buy a -3B (assuming I fit).

I can't help you with building motivation I'm afraid. I can't seem to motivate myself anymore Years ago, I started a -3B project that was going to be Lycoming powered, but got unmotivated and sold it to Paul Dye. He appears to have done a better job finishing it than I would have :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 06-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Just measured mine. I measured from the seat pan (no cushion) to the top of the closed canopy. Measuring from just in front of the seat back: seat pan to slightly forward of vertical is ~39 1/2". Absolute best case (seat back in aft-most position, measuring from hinge point up, following the roll bar angle, was 41 1/2". Of course, you can't get your head that far back. And as you mentioned, build technique will have major influence on the final measurement. Mine has barely enough clearance between the roll bar top to the canopy to fit a very thin GPS puck; probably less than an inch.

You can make the -4 a lot more comfortable by moving the top of the seat back. Instead of it resting on the rollbar cross-brace, it can go behind it and be held with adel style clamps. Changes back angle just enough to make a big difference in comfort. And if you've got short legs, you could move the hinge point forward to pick up a bit of vertical, due to the angle.

Charlie
Old 06-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the measurements Charlie. 39-1/2" would give me a half inch to spare. Best I can hope for with the RV-3B is that they changed the canopy, or the builder mounted it as high as possible. There's only one way to find out.

Rusty

Last edited by 13brv3 : 07-03-2017 at 04:47 AM.