What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UMA 1? diameter electronic engine gauges

Dakbuster

Has anyone installed UMA 1¼ diameter electronic engine gauges supplied by UMA and if you installed them did you have any problems with the operation of them.?

I have fitted UMA 1¼ oil pressure gauge to my aircraft. I am operating an IO-360-C1A power plant so the gauge range needs to be 0-130 psi which is what I have. UMA recommend a VDO 10bar sender unit, which I have.
On operating initially the gauge worked fine then the oil pressure readings started to read incorrectly. They went from 80 to 100psi but the gauge operated in reverse so when after landing the readings increased to 130psi with idle and decreased to 100psi when power was applied. Finally the oil pressure gauge ceased to read at all although when power was applied to the aircraft system the gauge moved to the zero mark. Investigation found the sender unit had failed. A new unit was fitted gauge powered up in reverse again.
I have removed the gauge and the sender from the aircraft and set it up on the bench.
Powered up the gauge – reads zero - apply pressure to the sender - gauge reads reverse.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mmmm...... Nobody out there using these gauges, Guess everybody has their engine monitoring on the square screen these days.:)

So for anyone interested.

Since posting the original thread I have found more information on these little beauties. My reason for choosing these gauges (apart from me being from the old school ) was mainly for redundancy, I just couldn?t bring myself to put all my engine instruments into the one box :eek:.

I have flown off ten hours so far and find these very easy to read, accurate and being electronic much lighter than the old steam driven. I absolutely love them. I have purchased (From Spruce) all my engine gauges including fuel quantity gages in the 1? diameter size.

What I have found.:(

The Spruce on line catalogue does not match the senders with the gauges. (I have notified them of the difficulties of matching the units) Some senders require gauges not listed.

Choose the gauges you need from your operating systems. Then go to the UMA web site to match the sender units. Once you have these you can match the part numbers with the spruce catalogue or in some cases they will not have these so you will have to request a special order.

It is important to match each gauge with the sender unit as listed on the UMA web site.

So I have just ordered a new 0-150 psi UMA 1? inch Electronic Oil Pressure gauge to go with my 0-150 psi UMA electronic pressure sender. This could take another two weeks to get sorted.

I must add that the help desk at UMA have been most helpful in trying to resolve this.:D

For what it is worth...my panel

dakdriver

Wiring

I have those gauges and they work correctly. I did have issues with the fuel sender. The wrong sender was shipped and I was not getting any movement at all. I didn't know what the issue was, but they were very helpful on th phone and shipped the correct part at no cost right away.

Other than that, I did have minor wiring errors on my part which had to be reworked, but all works now. I am sure you have checked the wiring many times. I don't have any advice, but my gauges work with no issues.

I love them and would use them again if I ever upgrade the panel.

Best of luck, let's is know what you find.
Lynn
554LH RV-9A

Back