What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any ADS-B experts?

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
I am considering installing the Naxworx box to link with the Cheltons for traffic info. The issue is I live in Salt Lake and there is supposedly no coverage here. But when Sean flies with his RV-10 around Salt Lake (he is ADS-B equipped) he pops up on PlaneFinder which only sees the ADS-B equipped planes, I think.
So does this mean we have a ground station?

Does anyone know the dates that the ground stations go in around here?
All I can find is that it will be complete 2013. The schedule from the FAA is not very specific.

18 months

Scott

I was watching a Foreflight for IPAD webiar hosted by EAA that was from last month that talked about completion in 18 months of the uncovered areas.

With a ADSB Receiver you will be able to pick up any aircraft that are equipped with ADSB Out on the UAT 978 Mhz frequency directly. This is possible without being near any ADSB Ground Station. Now with this setup you will not be able to see other Aircraft unless your near a ground station and you are transmitting ADSB Out. The FAA has limited the ADSB Traffic if you are not transmitting ADSB-Out. The way this works is you can always see targets directly without a ground station if the other aircraft are sending ADSB Out on the frequency which you have a receiver for, so that's 978 Mhz. Now if you were flying in a quadrant near another airplane that was sending his ADSB Out and you were within range of the ground station, then you also would benefit from seeing the targets that it sends out over the 978 Mhz datalink, this is called TIS-B.

Back