What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to bench test a comm

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
So I need to bench test a Garmin SL-40 comm. I need some guidance but please not too technical. I may loose you fast. :D I know I?ll need a handheld away from the airport, a 12V source and an antenna. Thanks all.

Trying to bench check a radio without the kind of gear the avionic shop has is asking for trouble. If you do get power on it ok, don't key up the transmitter without having the correct antenna or dummy load connected.

If theres an avionics shop at your airport, or nearby, I doubt it'd cost more than a few dollars for them the check it for you. I've done this several times with Cannon Avionics at Arlington.

Short of that, find a buddy with an airplane that has the same radio. Swap them out and test it that way.

Is there an avionics shop at La Porte?

Last edited:
Ken, there used to be an avionics guy there but not anymore. Vonn?s avionics at Pearland is the only other one on the south side I?m aware of but I can?t get a return call from the number listed on the website. They may be too covered up with ADSB installs. Houston?s a big place and I?ll just hunt around. I thought the bench test would be easier than it sounds. Thanks for the advice.

All you need is a signal generator, a frequency counter, an oscilloscope, a regulated power supply, a watt meter, and a dummy load or antenna. It all depends on what you're trying to test.

I would just walk in to a shop and leave it. Ask them to get to it when they can. Once they are able to test it, it will only take them a few minutes and should not cost much at all.

I would just walk in to a shop and leave it. Ask them to get to it when they can. Once they are able to test it, it will only take them a few minutes and should not cost much at all.

A few minutes was accompanied by a 1 hour minimum charge. But they did do a bench check on another avionics instrument. :)

A few minutes was accompanied by a 1 hour minimum charge. But they did do a bench check on another avionics instrument. :)

That is the risk you take, depending on the shop. Last time I went into my local shop, they checked the radio, confirmed it was dead, but didn't charge me anything.

Back