What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 as a time builder?

mstarks

I'm New Here
Hi Folks,

I am planning to get under way on a RV-10 this year...I realize that I am a long way from flying, and that is good as I need to build more time (only 100 hr ppl) before being ready to transition.

I currently rent a 172 (when not in use teaching others)....A nearby school has a transition program to the RV-12 and then allow its' rental.

Does building time in a RV-12 offer anything more relevant to flying other RV's in the future like the -10 or is it too dissimilar in flying characteristics?

Thanks

The 12 is a fantastic plane! I think it appeals to the broadest crowd of pilots. From beginner to more experienced and anyone cost conscious it fits the goals. The controls are very similar to the 8 and 14 which I?ve flown. It will definitely put the RV grin on your face. 👍🏻😎

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12: they all ?feel? like an RV to me.

I think you will be a better 10 pilot if you?ve been flying a 12 vice a 172. And you will grin more!

The RV-10 is enough heavier than the other RVs that a transition will be required. In terms of relevancy, I'd go with the C172 over the RV-12. YMMV.

What my insurance says

When filling out my info sheet for my insurance renewal, it ask time in make/model excluding RV12 or something to that affect.

So I'm guessing that RV12 time will not count toward any other RV time.

Thanks for the responses!

Maybe I should reconsider the -12 and buy a nice used -9a and enjoy flying it for the years I'm building...

Hi Folks,

I am planning to get under way on a RV-10 this year...I realize that I am a long way from flying, and that is good as I need to build more time (only 100 hr ppl) before being ready to transition.

I currently rent a 172 (when not in use teaching others)....A nearby school has a transition program to the RV-12 and then allow its' rental.

Does building time in a RV-12 offer anything more relevant to flying other RV's in the future like the -10 or is it too dissimilar in flying characteristics?

Thanks

At 100 hours total time, I would think time in any type of aircraft would be beneficial when it comes time to insure an RV-10. In spite of the most optimistic of build time expectations, it'll probably take you upwards of 3 years before your 10 is ready to fly. If you can swing it, I'd do my best to accumulate as much total time as you can as well as picking up an instrument rating during your build time.

Your insurance company will probably want XX hours time in type no matter how many hours you have, but the more total time, the better, and an instrument rating should help as well.

Just as an example, I have 15,000+ total time and probably 1000 in tailwheel planes. When I bought a GCAA Citabria last year, the insurance company wanted me to have 10 hours make and model before they'd insure me. This, in spite of the fact that I had 50+ hours in a GCBC Citabria. Insurance is a bit goofy these days.

EDIT: I just saw your post. I think a 9A would be a fantastic idea. Find one with enough in the panel to obtain your instrument rating. Maintain proficiency, build time, pick up the instrument rating. Win, win, WIN! The only problem is that you might have so much fun flying, you'll never finish your 10!

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Thanks

Just as a data point, my insurance company lumps all Vans tricycle gear airplanes together. So flying an RV-12 might help with your insurance on the RV-10 later.

Last edited:
Back