VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Xcountry AVL-MLB-SPG-MLB-AVL

I'm looking to fly down from AVL, where my RV-8 is based, to MLB and then SPG and back to MLB and return to AVL. This would be my first cross country trip and I would like to know what to expect/ and or avoid, (other than 500 restricted air spaces and active MOAs.) I figured only towered fields for overnighting due to safer and less risk of theft or damage. I assume it's just call MLB and SPG and make sure they have ramp space and bring a cover? I might be at MLB for a week or so.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:55 PM

I fly from FL to NC several times a year. The MOA's are no big deal. If you use SAV as an intermediate waypoint, your route will be clear of them, anyways. Just double check TFR's for rocket launches in the MLB area. I learned to fly at SPG, doubt you will have trouble finding ramp space. Get the chicken and waffles at the The Hangar Restaurant, right above the FBO.

Chris
Old 12-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredwhaler View Post
I'm looking to fly down from AVL, where my RV-8 is based, to MLB and then SPG and back to MLB and return to AVL. This would be my first cross country trip and I would like to know what to expect/ and or avoid, (other than 500 restricted air spaces and active MOAs.) I figured only towered fields for overnighting due to safer and less risk of theft or damage. I assume it's just call MLB and SPG and make sure they have ramp space and bring a cover? I might be at MLB for a week or so.
If you are here at MLB, just send a message if you have time. It's always nice to talk about airplanes, specially RV's.
RC Pilot ( if that counts )
2019 VAF Contribution Sent
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the MLB to SPG and back will probably just be easier IFR.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredwhaler View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking the MLB to SPG and back will probably just be easier IFR.
Actually I would bet that would be more of a hassle. The route from MLB to SPG is outside Orlando class B, and you can easily shoot the gap between R2901 and the Class B. After that just call up Tampa when you get closer and you’ll probably be direct to SPG. Tampa class B is generally easier to deal with than Orlando, in my experience.

Chris
Old 12-07-2019, 06:29 PM

I have a T hangar at KMLB. Give me a call when you’re in the area.
407-687-3126
F1 Rocket #25
N14ZM "Dreamer"
Melboring, FL