What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1/8th Inch Holes in Main Spar

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Working on the skeleton of the left wing. Have all of the ribs clecoed into position.

There are a few evenly spaced 1/8th inch holes factory drilled into the spar between the first and second ribs that to me, have no function. That is, I can see thru the spar and these holes anchor nothing to the spar. I have closely reviewed the plans and clecoed on the bottom skins. The bottom skins fit perfectly so I'm 99% sure that I have the ribs mounted to the main spar correctly.

But, I'm concerned that I have missed something. Please advise - thanks in advance.

Are these the holes that get riveted on page 13-03/Step 5?

9frzpy.jpg

Thank you Alex!

I think that you nailed it - now I think that I understand the instruction as to those few holes. It looks to me like the function of the rivets in these holes is to help hold the laminations of the main spar together. Do you concur? Alex, I appreciate your immediate and informative response.

Right or Left

I think the holes are from making the parts so they can be used on the right
or left wing

My View

Joe Dallas

Working on the skeleton of the left wing. Have all of the ribs clecoed into position.

There are a few evenly spaced 1/8th inch holes factory drilled into the spar between the first and second ribs that to me, have no function. That is, I can see thru the spar and these holes anchor nothing to the spar. I have closely reviewed the plans and clecoed on the bottom skins. The bottom skins fit perfectly so I'm 99% sure that I have the ribs mounted to the main spar correctly.

But, I'm concerned that I have missed something. Please advise - thanks in advance.

You will find various factory-drilled holes that seemingly have no function in your build. Typically, these holes are used by the factory during the initial manufacturing of the parts ("tooling holes") or, as noted above, reflect the factory's manufacture of one part that can be used for both left and right pieces (e.g., spar webs). Usually all you need to do with these unused holes is debur them like any other hole. I like to think of these extra holes as "lightening holes"! :cool:

Ed, Joe is right. All the spar webs are punched alike. Some holes go unpopulated depending on whether it ends up as left or right.
Happy building!

Joe and John are correct. When I was building the wings I called Vans tech assistance and that was the answer I received.

watch out

Watch out for one odd rib, look very closely at plans to see rib that is facing opposite direction on wings...think the left wing rib goes on right wing and vice versa...do not quote me..but I just had to take that rib out and change sides...very hard to see on plans and no big warning on plans...but if you get it all done and skin does not line up..you have it wrong...

Watch out for one odd rib, look very closely at plans to see rib that is facing opposite direction on wings...think the left wing rib goes on right wing and vice versa...do not quote me..but I just had to take that rib out and change sides...very hard to see on plans and no big warning on plans...but if you get it all done and skin does not line up..you have it wrong...

The R and L is very confusing, it does not mean Left and Right.
It is merely the direction of the flange
Hold the rib so you are looking from the aft to fwd (back to front). If the
flange bends right (ie the edge of flange points Right) it is an R and if it bends left it is and L.

Right and left ribs

This is correct both wings have right and left ribs.

Joe Dallas

The R and L is very confusing, it does not mean Left and Right.
It is merely the direction of the flange
Hold the rib so you are looking from the aft to fwd (back to front). If the
flange bends right (ie the edge of flange points Right) it is an R and if it bends left it is and L.

Back