What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fresh air inlets & riveting clearance

rightrudder

Well Known Member
I'm getting pretty close to riveting the top forward skin in place :)D). Is there sufficient clearance to buck these rivets with the plastic air inlets in place, or have you glued/riveted them in afterward? I left the fuel vent lines loose for now so they can easily be moved out of the way. Thanks!

I pro-sealed mine long before riveting on the forward top skin. Tipper if that makes a difference. Only trouble riveting was getting in there to buck them.

My $.02.

I have a slider and don't remember there being a huge issue to buck those rivets with the air scoop in place. I do have a pretty small (1 x .5 x 3") tungsten bucking bar with an angle on one end that allows me to buck rivets slightly offset that I use so that might have helped.

Doug, I have one of those small tungsten bars Darin is talking about. Call me if you need to borrow it.

Thanks for the replies. John, I appreciate the offer of the loaner, but I do already have a small tungsten bar. Looks like I'll ProSeal those suckers in today.

air inlet attachment

I use 4-40 screws with hardware store speed nuts bonded to the backside of the plastic scoop. I use left over pro-seal and dimple the skin for 100deg 4-40 screws. Did the same thing on my RV-6 before starting my RV-6 and seemed to work well. I also bond these speed nuts to my fiberglass tail and wing tips. Quick and inexpensive. And keep larger edge distances than 6-32 screws.

2ng5tuo.jpg

1z5ukbp.jpg

ekj37t.jpg

The vent lines are the only thing in the way. As long as they are loose, you can position them enough to clear the bucking bar. The adel clamp screws that are up in the corners of the firewall should be replaced with some socket head screws. Otherwise, there is no space up there to put a screwdriver on the head to tighten them down. An Allen wrench will fit just fine.

I pro-sealed mine long before riveting on the forward top skin. Tipper if that makes a difference. Only trouble riveting was getting in there to buck them.

My $.02.

Same here. They haven't moved and are never coming off.

Back