What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carburetor 200 hour inspection per Line MM Sec 5.1

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I am in the midst of my third condition inspection, working my way through the checklist in the Rotax Line Maintenance Manual. Section 05-20-00, Page 15, Item 9 specifies carburetor checks. This is the first year I have paid any attention to the 4th box down, since my engine is now almost to the 200 hour point. This item reads: "Removal/assembly of the two carburetors for carburetor inspection.", and refers to "Heavy MM 73-00-00 sec. 3". It carries a specified interval of 200 hours.

So I took my first look at Heavy MM Section 3, which is a large section which describes in great detail the disassembly and inspection of what seems to be the entire carburetor! :eek: A quick read-through of this section convinces me immediately that this is NOT something I want to delve into. I have neither the expertise or the tools to dig into the innards of the carburetor. This leads to the following questions, directed to those who have reached the 200 hour plateau before me:

Is this for real? Does Rotax actually require a complete teardown of a well functioning carb with only 200 hours on it?

Am I misinterpreting something, or incorrectly reading the German translation?

What have others done at the 200 hour point?

We send our to Leading Edge Airfoils in Wisconsin. It costs about $85 labor and the cost of the rebuild kits ($200 I think). We figure they rebuild them every day and they have the tools and cleaning solutions. When we took the Rotax class there, we were shown a few things they do during a rebuild that are not in the maintenance manual. Each rebuild (3 times now) has showed no problems observed.

We also store our airplane during the winter with MOGAS in the tank treated with Stabil (located in Michigan) so figure a rebuild is good insurance for any problems that may create, although we have never had a problem in the Spring when we start flying again.

Lockwood also does the rebuilds.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS, Rotax 914

John. Not a big deal. Just be sure to order new gaskets for the bowls first...the old ones will leak when you put them back on. I have had mine off three times now and everything looks like it came out of the dishwasher. I do think it is valuable to do the float check where you make sure they are actually floating as they should be.

Like any part of a conditional, the expectation is to see nothing bad but apparently the possibility exists. So say those who having tracking what can happen to a Rotax 912ULS after 200 hours.

There is the 200 hr inspection. Most want to delve too deep into the carb for this. It is just a inspection and easy to do.

Give me a call and I can alleviate your fears and give you some good news that will save you tons of work and give an alternative.

I'm out of town until May 20th.

Thanks Roger, I will call you. Spoke to Lockwood today and got more info. Am at least postponing this "inspection".

John B and Tony T, I'm curious how you guys handled this. Marty S as well.

Last edited:
Hey John - -

I take the carbs off each annual. Last year I had to get new gaskets. They don't stay like new for ever. As has been mentioned, check the floats by putting in a small container of gas to be sure they float properly. Also, take the float bowls off slowly and see if any small debris on bottom. Take the screws off the top and pull the diaphragms and needle assm. Check the rubber for any cracks. I do not take the jets out. Be sure they are tight, and look everything over, and put back together. About 615 hours so far.

Rotax has no carb rebuild time in writing. Most 912 carbs can go years without maint. I'm not telling you that to make you skip maint., but to put your mind at ease that they are not prone to problems unless you cause one. I have seen many with 5-8 years on them that still runfinethat had no maint.
Against I'm not telling anyone todo that just assure you carbs are fairly bullet proof if you don't cause the problem. What I see on a normal basis when I do carb rebuilds after a number of years is cracked "O" rings. Certain aircraft have bad vibration and this wears the needles down and can ruin the pistons.
Don't make the routine inspection too deep and if you do your carb syncs at 100 hr and or annuals and everything looks good and the engine runs smooth through the rpms then you're probably good to go.

I don't worry about my Cherokee's carburetor self destructing, and I don't worry about my RV-12 carburetors.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts,here and in PM's. Common sense will prevail.

Back