What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borescope photos of cylinders

dtw_rv6

Well Known Member
Did anyone else buy one of those nifty borescopes at Oshkosh from Oasis Scientific? $140.00 for a rigid scope with 180 degree articulating tip. I just pulled the plugs from my Superior IO-360, and am absolutely happy with the images I'm getting from such an inexpensive camera. See below.

Any comments on the valve conditions? From my understanding, not much here to worry about - but thought I'd solicit additional input. I didn't have software settings correct for all 4 cylinders, so only have images of #4. All cylinders look nearly identical to the images here.

Engine Stats:
10 years old. Always on dehydrator since new when not flying.
450TT, Camguard and Phillips 100W for past 8 years. Exxon Mobile Elite in earlier life after breakin.
2 magnetos until May of this year, now I'm using a Plasma III on one set of (irridium) plugs with a Slick magneto on the bottom.

Intake Valve
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KDbcJSheK_ZGhfeHotVlY3Z1E

Exhaust Valve
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KDbcJSheK_MWZza3dwVGFFY1k

Cylinder
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KDbcJSheK_akFqSXZMUVJoLVE

Don

That's the scope I have. I had to call them to remind them to ship it to me after the show, but they where very prompt to acknowledge the oversight and overnighted it to me the next day. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them in the future.

Don

dtw- your valves look good. However, don't your cylinder walls look a bit scored?
The resolution or focus is not great and I think I can still see some of the cross-hatching, which is good, but there is evidence of vertical striations.
You didn't state total time on cylinders, and this may be normal for an older engine. My guess, so long as no significant compression or oil issues, nothing to worry about.
Any engine expert comments....?

not as easy as it looks!

I have the same 'scope.....and found even playing with the intensity, it was hard to get good cylinder shots , there is so much reflection off the shiny walls!
....and the focal length seems a bit harder to nail down than pointing at one spot, like a valve.
overall it's good, but I need more practice. Sometimes it helps to have another person to snap the pic.
I wish the scope had a shutter button on it like my other el cheapo one.

....or am I missing something? :confused:

dtw- your valves look good. However, don't your cylinder walls look a bit scored?
The resolution or focus is not great and I think I can still see some of the cross-hatching, which is good, but there is evidence of vertical striations.
You didn't state total time on cylinders, and this may be normal for an older engine. My guess, so long as no significant compression or oil issues, nothing to worry about.
Any engine expert comments....?

+1 it does appear to have some light scoring, but it seems to be above the top ring turnaround position. . . meaning it is probably carbon scoring from the top land. Not unusual, and my guess is like your guess.

Kinda hard to tell all this without good reference points, so nothing to get worked up about.

Back