What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chino Air Show 2016

XOverZero

Well Known Member
Well, the Weather Faeries got a little mischievous on Saturday, April 30th, and as a result only a handful of RVers were able to make it to the RV Fly-In portion of the Chino Planes of Fame Air Show. In spite of the light turnout, a splendid time was had by all present.

Buddy / hangar mate John R. (-9A) built a unique accessory just for the event. He mounted his camera on the end of a telescoping pole (16 feet max) and with questionably capable assistance from this reporter, gave it a shakedown run. Mission focused, we allowed all the ?selfie stick from Heck? comments to go unanswered. Here are a few of the results. You be the judge.

6d4de1b6-35bb-4a36-aac4-48a0e0d089d7.jpg

Chino%202016_10.jpg

Chino%202016_11.jpg

Chino%202016_4.jpg

Chino%202016_5JPG.jpg

These two RVs might possibly be the world?s high time -sixes. Who knows? Gary Sobek?s in front; next to it Paul Rosales? -6A. Is anyone keeping score of how many times these two have flown their RVs across this continent?and beyond?

Chino%202016_3.jpg

At a casual glance, this may look like a garden variety hangar hangout, but wait, there's more to it that only closer scrutiny will reveal! Zoom in and you'll see what's really happening?

Formation.jpg

None other than Gary "Condor" Sobek is leading a 3-ship in a graceful and difficult single-sofa, left legover echelon pass (no smoke). The style and precision required to successfully pull this off results only from constant drill and unwavering discipline. Notice that wingmen Tom ?Redtail? Prokop and Dan "Sunblock" Hall are eyes locked on Lead as they should be. These formation guys never cease to impress. Good one, chaps!

I was bummed that I couldn't finally fly into this airshow. I treked up there a couple of years by car and once flew in a rental. The weather wasn't looking very good from the ground in Ramona. Maybe next year! I still want to get up there an see your RV-12 progress.

Formation.jpg

None other than Gary "Condor" Sobek is leading a 3-ship in a graceful and difficult single-sofa, left legover echelon pass (no smoke). The style and precision required to successfully pull this off results only from constant drill and unwavering discipline. Notice that wingmen Tom ?Redtail? Prokop and Dan "Sunblock" Hall are eyes locked on Lead as they should be. These formation guys never cease to impress. Good one, chaps!

Very nicely executed. Will try to do the same at my next hanger gathering.

I also noticed the container of cookies is almost empty and the tray of veggies is unopened.

Philip, you are the observant one. Here's how it went down...what isn't shown is the taco grill at the opposite end of the hangar row. They were good, very good. After which, the cookies dwindled at a measured rate of attrition. Then, as soon as they were all gone, an all up assault on the veggies took place. In short order, anything that had at one time resembled food looked like a flock of seagulls had had their way with it.

That's funny..... Couch formation takes years of practice. Was nice to see
everyone, especially Gary. Miss the days when we were just a pack of sixes.

Back