What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: What to do with a worn out 3M abrasive/polishing wheel.

Chalkie

When my 3m polishing wheel was worn down to about 4" diameter, I figured I could make use of the wheel rather than discarding it.

I took a 1.5" hole saw and made 5 smaller polishing wheels. Admittedly the hole saw took a beating, but I now have 5 polishing wheels that I can spin onto the threaded arbor for my die grinder.

hsqqh3.jpg

Nice idea!! Builders creed: - waste nothing, use everything possible for multiple lives

I don't know how many times over the years that I wanted a smaller polishing wheel just like my larger one and here's the answer. Yes I bought the softer small wheels but they were too soft. I never understood why 3m didn't sell smaller versions of the more abrasive wheel. Maybe I just missed something.

This is the best idea I've seen in a while!

Brilliant! What an inspired idea, especially to this builder's Scots bloodline (read: cheap). I think what's most amazing about it is that the hole saw made it that far. I tried to dress out a Scotchbrite wheel once using a Vixen rasp. No joy. The wheel took more of the rasp than vice versa. I'll never try that one again...especially now with my brand new Vixen.

Seek and ye shall find

I found these at an online surplus store and paid much less for them too (like $0.60 each). I bought a lot, since I use them often. Now I don't worry about slicing grooves through them, while working an edge. Link is no good now, so can't post for everyone, but it sure was good while it lasted.

I found these at an online surplus store and paid much less for them too (like $0.60 each). I bought a lot, since I use them often. Now I don't worry about slicing grooves through them, while working an edge. Link is no good now, so can't post for everyone, but it sure was good while it lasted.

I like the groove, it allows you to deburr both sides of an edge in one pass. Just hold the diegrinder a bit off perpendicular to the edge of the skin and the sides of the groove will contact both skin surfaces.

Back