What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross country feasibility

garyr78

One of my bucket list items is to build an RV and fly it to Oshkosh and KFFA. I like the RV-12 and would like feedback from those flying their RV-12s if this is feasible. I live in San Diego.

Thanks.

If one of our chapter members rode a Vespa from OSH back to Charlotte, NC, you can definitely fly a -12 to OSH and back.

Last edited:
True.

I guess if Buck Rinker and his brother can fly a J3 from NJ to Los Angeles, an RV-12 should have no problem.

Not that I'd try the high Rockies, but I was curious about performance at higher altitudes. I loaded up with full fuel and ballast to gross weight and started climbing. I stopped at a DA of 11.5K and was climbing at 200 fpm.

How does...

... one think Van gets his RV12 demo machine to KOSH every year over the Rockies? Also, my hangar neighbor, a guy named Ken Krueger, flew his C-150 there last year with daughter Amy.

I flew my C172 a few times and -6a many times across the Rockies to Billings MT via Mullen Pass and I-90 (IFR doncha know:D). One does have to keep an eye on the changing WX along that route. A comfy height is 11.5 going, 12.5 back.

YES...It can do it!

Two years ago I ferried a new RV12 from Aurora, OR to Cape Cod via Palm Springs, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. 3412 miles and 36.3 hours. The plane ran like a top and max altitude was 11,500 across NM.

Just recently, I flew my RV12 from Cape Cod to Oklahoma and back. Two days each way, no problems. Having the ADS-B weather was a big help.

Some way to add an extra amount of fuel would have been helpful to stretch out the fuel stops.

Mitch
N2ET

:)

Right, but he/she didn't have to fly over the Rocky Mountains.

No but he could only take two lane roads and had to go through the Smokes.

All he had so say, after collecting on his bet, was, "There are a lot of trucks between here and there."

Very doable....

An RV-12 will do fine through the Rockies if you use good planning.

I have made numerous round trips from Oregon to OSH in an RV-12. Most with two people and bags aboard.

Having said that... From southern CA it is possible to avoid the Rockies altogether with very little increase in trip length. You would head east to PHX, then to LasVegas NM (just a bit NE of Albuquerque). LasVegas is basically at the southern tip of the Rockies. Turn towards the NE from there. From there it is mostly all flat all the way to OSH.

No but he could only take two lane roads and had to go through the Smokes.

All he had so say, after collecting on his bet, was, "There are a lot of trucks between here and there."

Reminds me of what a friend said after flying his J-3 Cub to Oshkosh and back from Alabama with a lot of scuzzy weather.

"Everybody should have the opportunity to fly a Cub to Oshkosh...but nobody should have to do it more than once!" :)

Last edited:
No problem - and you will be amazed at how quickly you can cover some Ground. I just did that flight in my -9A last winter, well actually from Ramona to Minnesota but close enough. The southerly route through Phoenix, el paso, Clovis and up the gut avoids high terrain.

I bought my new RV-12 SLSA from Vans at Aurora OR and flew it back to SC over 5 summer days. Tried to fly until noon when the thermals and heat got brutal.

Flew to Redding, Merced, Bakersfield, Blythe, Tucson, El Paso, Sweetwater, Tyler, Greenwood, Colunbus GA and home.

Te airplane performed phenomenally well. People are amazed that this little plane is so versatile but it's a good cross country airplane.

Buck Family

True.

I guess if Buck Rinker and his brother can fly a J3 from NJ to Los Angeles, an RV-12 should have no problem.

Its Rinker Buck and his brother Kern Buck, but otherwise I agree.
In the early days of EAA West Coast to Rockford Il was routinely done in airplanes such as 65 hp Baby Ace, couple years ago there was even a Pietenpol from Southwest at Oshkosh. I saw it take off from Tuccumcari NM.

Buck Family

True.

Also not a J3 but a PA11, a slightly refined version of the J3. Some PA11's were built with either 85 or 90 hp Continental, can't remember which for sure. PA11 had a full cowl and some other refinements and was a bit faster than a J3.

Thanks

Good to hear from those that have made long cross country trips in the 12. It appears that San Diego to Oshkosh to Kill Devil Hills and back is a non-issue with some good planning and adequate time.

Thanks everyone. :)

Its Rinker Buck and his brother Kern Buck, but otherwise I agree.
In the early days of EAA West Coast to Rockford Il was routinely done in airplanes such as 65 hp Baby Ace, couple years ago there was even a Pietenpol from Southwest at Oshkosh. I saw it take off from Tuccumcari NM.

On my trip home from icing up the RV-12 I stopped at Blythe CA. On the txi out there was a guy in a Pietenpol who said he was on his way to OSH!

Compared to him my RV-12 felt like a Gulfstream GV :)

The former owners of my old Cherokee 140 flew it back and forth between Waterloo Iowa and Salt Lake City a couple times. If a Cherokee 140 can make it across the Rockies with careful planning, an RV12 can do it too.

In 2000, I flew my Wolf Boredom Fighter from San Francisco to OSH and back on 65 HP (at sea level), no GPS, paper charts, a plotter, and a watch, for about 40 hours enroute time (and with the top down, I had the worst tan on my face from leather helmet and goggles)! I knew a couple guys who did the same from Los Angles, so a -12 would be no problem.

Trip to OSH

I flew from the San Francisco bay area to OSH via Olympia Washington to pick up a friend. No problem with the Rockies. Just plan ahead Having real time weather on board really helps. A very comfortable trip. The return was also very nice. One leg was from South Dakota to Olympia in one day. A great cross county machine. Great vis and comfortable flying. Go for it!

Rich

Airplane limitations are only in your mind. You can plan a route with the 12 just about anywhere, if you don't have an ocean in your way. I flew a 75 horse plane from Phoenix to Nome to Boston. Great fun...

Long cross countries are just short ones strung end to end. All it takes is time and fuel.;)

I've covered 37 states in my 170, including Alaska, and have 12 more on my bucket list. Other than interior volume to haul "stuff", RV-12 is at least as capable an airplane as the 170, and more so in some respects.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your positive responses. I plan to attend Copperstate Flyin next month, hopefully there will be one or two 12s there I can scope out.

I built an 8a to the Quickbuild stage between 1998 and 2002 before selling it. Looking at the preview plans for the 12, it is obvious that building it will be far easier.

Thanks all.

Gary,

Frank Hoepfner is planning on bringing his SLSA RV-12 to Copperstate, which he IS using to start an LSA Sort Pilot school at Glendale, Az (KGEU). I hope to bring my ELSA RV-12 for at least one day.

I think you OSH trip is certainly a possibility. I have made the trip over twenty times from PHX in my Cherokee and a Yak-52. The weather is the biggest issue. Don't tackle that leg between ABQ and PHX unless you have solid VMC.

Rich

One of my bucket list items is to build an RV and fly it to Oshkosh and KFFA. I like the RV-12 and would like feedback from those flying their RV-12s if this is feasible. I live in San Diego.

Thanks.

Gary,

Contact Bruce, "Ex Bonanza Bucko" on this website. He has a gorgeous SLSA at Gillespie Field (KSEE) with all the options installed. I'm sure he would be happy to show it off.

Regards,

From Indiana, I've been to California, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Maine, Florida, and many points in-between, all in my -12, and all in the past 18 months. I'd say you can use it for some cross country flying. ;)

Place order for RV-12 empennage

Last weekend Alex at French Valley was generous enough to take me up in his 12. It was great, what a fun plane. Thanks again Alex!

I placed the order for the RV-12 empennage on Thursday. :)

I still have all my tools from an 8A build I did about 15 years ago, so I should be all set. May need to buy a few minor items, nothing major. I also have a pneumatic rivet puller. Now, just need to clean out the garage prior to the kit arrival.

Thank you everyone for answering my endless stream of RV-12 questions.

There are some differences...

When you get to the wing kit you're going to need about 300 copper clecos (⅛"). The ratio of silver to copper clecos for the -12 is roughly the inverse of what you probably already have. Lots of copper, not so many silver.
There are several places, including right away in the stabilator spar assembly, where you need a 120 degree ⅛" countersink for the flush pop rivets.
You more than likely do have most of the tools. It would be a very good idea to closely peruse the RV-12 tool kits advertised by Avery, Cleaveland, Isham, et al, to discover what you don't have.
A couple "don't be without it" items: Pneumatic rivet puller (check), Cleaveland Main Squeeze, Avery 5012 "Close Quarter Rivet Puller Tool."
About that last item...the foto on their site can be confusing. What you want is the little steel bar thingy under the puller. Absolutely a must. For that matter, it is best to also have that puller shown in the same foto, even though it costs a kidney. Those two doodads save a whole lot of bad words. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Thanks for the good advice John.

I had 288 copper clecos so I ordered 100 more from Avery. I also ordered the very pricey rivet puller from them. Both of these I ordered two or 3 weeks ago. You can say I was a bit confident that I was going to build the 12. The flight with Alex sealed the deal.

I have two hand and a pneumatic rivet squeezers, though I'd like to get the Cleveland main squeeze, it is hard to justify.

Monday I will order the close quarter rivet puller tool from Avery, as you suggest.

Gary,
Be glad to loan you my Cleveland squeezer. Its not like I need it right now. Let me know when you are ready for it.
Alex

Thank you for the offer Alex, you are the best. I'll see how things go with my old school rivet squeezers once the tail kit arrives.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, you built one excellent 12, your workmanship is top notch.

Back