What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eglin AFB Hangar Options

Eglin

You could submit the correct DoD/USAF forms for using an AF Base and see if you could keep it with the Aero Club. But then you would have to submit a Flight Plan every time you depart or arrive.

On base...

Eglin would work great...I might be using the RV to fly up to Moody to get my monthly sorties. I tried to email the aero club...if they are closed then that would explain why they didn't respond.

The dudes using Eglin on the civilian side? Are they hangared or tied down? Any POC for the Eglin option much appreciated.

54J

You might try Definiak Springs- 54J.

Cheap fuel prices and nice people. I fly in there a few times a year. Not sure of thier hanger availability but they are building on.

Phil

Elgin aero club is gone, but there are guys that keep their plane on base.

Sig, what happened to the Eglin aero club? I did a lot of flying there back in the 70's, and they had a great club. Times do change, don't they? Too bad, it was a great place to fly

Sig, what happened to the Eglin aero club? I did a lot of flying there back in the 70's, and they had a great club. Times do change, don't they? Too bad, it was a great place to fly

MWR basically killed it. I'd complain about how they basically stole all their profits, then complained about how the club couldn't sustain itself, but what's done is done. Got my PPL, Instrument rating and ATP from that place. Back in the 90's they had something like 35 airplanes.

Sad indeed.

The dudes using Eglin on the civilian side? Are they hangared or tied down? Any POC for the Eglin option much appreciated.

I can't offer any details, I just know everything is parked outside (no hangars), there is a monthly tie down fee, and you have to meet some pretty heinous insurance requirements.

If you're still interested, I'd try base ops and ask for the air field manager. Otherwise I'd look up in Crestview for cheap hangar space. Maybe Defuniak or Milton. Destin if you find any will not be cheap.

Last edited:
Morale, Welfare and Recreation

I sure miss the good old days..

What he said. MWR is basically the umbrella organization that owns things like the Aero Clubs, Auto hobby shops, pools, gyms, family/kid centers, etc.

Been dying the death of 1000 cuts for years. There was a time when could rent a C-310R wet for $125/hour. Brand new AG-5B Tigers for $60/hour, 152 for $35. Last time I was there they were down to four airplanes just waiting to close the doors.

The Aero Club at Wright Patterson recently closed, even amidst the boat load of Generals protesting trying to keep it open.

Last edited:
Morale, Welfare and Recreation

I sure miss the good old days..

You and me both. I was looking up the Patrick aero club for some lessons and learned that they are gone as well. Seems like 90% of the clubs on bases are gone. And, you're correct...MWR would raid their funds and then when they couldn't support themselves, the base commander would make the decision to shut them down because no appropriated funds could be used. It's a major shame.

That's strange, I seem to have paid my taxes these past 40 years. I guess the country's brain trust has "better" ways to spend it than aero clubs where people actually learned a skill that benefited society. The Eglin Aero Club was one of the best organizations of which I've been a part. I'm glad I wasn't there to see it go.

That's strange, I seem to have paid my taxes these past 40 years. I guess the country's brain trust has "better" ways to spend it than aero clubs where people actually learned a skill that benefited society. The Eglin Aero Club was one of the best organizations of which I've been a part. I'm glad I wasn't there to see it go.

Unfortunately Stall, MWR is an NAF (Non-Appropriated Funds) organization. Same as golf courses, marinas, auto hobby shops, etc... No tax dollars are supposed to be used in their operations, they're supposed to be self supporting, same as the commissary and the exchange. Aero clubs were the first to go...next will be marinas I fear. Golf courses? Well, I don't know if they'll ever go, but who knows?

Thanks for the clarification, Ron, but bottom line another government program gone awry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :rolleyes:

54J

I know someone about to give up his hanger in next few months at defuniack springs. Not sure if they are full or not.

Eglin Aero Club - Still Open for business!!!!

Interesting discussion but premature. Eglin Aero Club is still very much alive. I keep my Cherokee on base at Eglin and it has lived here on and off over the past 25 years. We had our family RV6 here for 6 months last year visiting from Portland OR. You can call the Aero Club at (850) 882-5148, best on weekdays and ask for Don, the manager. Plenty of room for pvt aircraft and base ops and Aero Club folks are super. Yes you have to file a flight plan to fly here, but it takes about 5 minutes and Base Ops is about 200 feet away from pvt aircraft parking, really easy. It gets pretty exciting flying from here between the F35's, F15 & 16's and A10's and C-130's and Airliners (plus CV-22's and Army/ Navy Helicopters in local flying area). All this traffic keeps us on our toes. Pvt aircraft are pretty low in the pecking order which at times can be frustrating, but you learn to live with it. Also the 2ea 10,000(+) ft runways can distort you view of the real world. To keep your plane on base you need to be either active duty or retired, or I guess in the active reserves and have ID access to Base Exchange and hospital which is official reason we are allowed to keep our planes here, to provide base access for these facilities. You will also need to join the Aero Club. But if the club does close I have been told we will still be able to keep our planes on base, but 100 low lead will go away. Send PM if you have more questions.

Cecil

Interesting discussion but premature. Eglin Aero Club is still very much alive. I keep my Cherokee on base at Eglin and it has lived here on and off over the past 25 years. We had our family RV6 here for 6 months last year visiting from Portland OR. You can call the Aero Club at (850) 882-5148, best on weekdays and ask for Don, the manager. Plenty of room for pvt aircraft and base ops and Aero Club folks are super. Yes you have to file a flight plan to fly here, but it takes about 5 minutes and Base Ops is about 200 feet away from pvt aircraft parking, really easy. It gets pretty exciting flying from here between the F35's, F15 & 16's and A10's and C-130's and Airliners (plus CV-22's and Army/ Navy Helicopters in local flying area). All this traffic keeps us on our toes. Pvt aircraft are pretty low in the pecking order which at times can be frustrating, but you learn to live with it. Also the 2ea 10,000(+) ft runways can distort you view of the real world. To keep your plane on base you need to be either active duty or retired, or I guess in the active reserves and have ID access to Base Exchange and hospital which is official reason we are allowed to keep our planes here, to provide base access for these facilities. You will also need to join the Aero Club. But if the club does close I have been told we will still be able to keep our planes on base, but 100 low lead will go away. Send PM if you have more questions.

Cecil

Good info. I took the 310 from the club back in sept, and they were closing the doors 31 Jan 2013.

I'm really surprised there's not enough demand to warrant building things up a bit at Ft. Walton Beach (1J9). It's a short N-S grass runway, but a some nicer grass and some hangars would seem to make it pretty viable for cubs, champs, 172's and RV's, no?

I don't have any special insight into the area, I just do a lot of work at Eglin (looks like at least several more week this spring/summer)....

I'm really surprised there's not enough demand to warrant building things up a bit at Ft. Walton Beach (1J9). It's a short N-S grass runway, but a some nicer grass and some hangars would seem to make it pretty viable for cubs, champs, 172's and RV's, no?

I don't have any special insight into the area, I just do a lot of work at Eglin (looks like at least several more week this spring/summer)....

There's almost zero room to build anything on that field, and it's clobbered with banner tow operations in the summer. The runway is book ended by Hwy 98 on one side and it drops off into the water on the other, not forgiving.

There's almost zero room to build anything on that field, and it's clobbered with banner tow operations in the summer. The runway is book ended by Hwy 98 on one side and it drops off into the water on the other, not forgiving.

Didn't realize it was that tight, only seen it on google maps. Suprised there's not a better option, seems like there's be plenty of pilots down there....

Didn't realize it was that tight, only seen it on google maps. Suprised there's not a better option, seems like there's be plenty of pilots down there....

Problem is the gov't owns just about every stitch of land south of I-10 that isn't already built on. You're right though, needs another GA airport.

Cecil

Hello Cecil,

What's the latest on the aero club situation? Still hangar space available?

Back