What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS: Dimple or not to dimlpe?

RV7ForMe

Well Known Member
Do I dimple the skin and the rib where the plans say attach fro fairings?

Did I not read this in the plans. Did I just miss it?

download

VS

If you haven't dimpled, tape over them as a reminder. If you dimpled, leave them dimpled. Most, if not all, the dimple will be drilled out when they are final drilled.

No worries. It's very common.

If possible, don't dimple the holes. But if you did miss it and dimple the holes, don't worry. nearly everyone has dimpled these holes accidentally.

You can choose to leave them dimpled. They are opened up later for screws (#6 I believe). If you read on the forums, there is a growing trend for folks to not install so many screws in the fairing that attaches there. They just install the most forward screw and aft screw and omit the rest. So that would mean that you can leave the majority of these holes dimpled and riveted.

Another option which I chose was to flatten out the dimple. Use a flush set of dies on your squeezer. You can get away with doing this once....but don't attempt to dimple these holes again as you will cause cracks.

Perfect You guys are the best!

As I said on my "build thread" my compressor is dead and I am waiting on the repair. So I am in no rush and so I did NOT dimple them yet. I just couldn't find this anywhere in the plans. Thanks the response I will just tape them over.

is there a good thread here on VAF with tip's like this? I am sure there are more -7 related things like this?

Gotchas

As I said on my "build thread" my compressor is dead and I am waiting on the repair. So I am in no rush and so I did NOT dimple them yet. I just couldn't find this anywhere in the plans. Thanks the response I will just tape them over.

is there a good thread here on VAF with tip's like this? I am sure there are more -7 related things like this?

Here's a thread but it can always use additional input. Feel free to add.
We try to put the drawing and part number in the subject.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=120747
FYI there's more holes to leave on the HS and wing skins.

Back