What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brass brake line inserts

Rob H

Well Known Member
I think Van?s sent me the wrong brass inserts for the 1/4? plastic brake lines. They are supposed to fit tightly and require soaking in boiling water to enable full insertion. My inserts measure .133? diameter, but should be >.25?. Did any other builders have this problem? I will call Van?s tomorrow.

The tubing is already too big. They either sent me the wrong inserts or the wrong tubing.

I think Van’s sent me the wrong brass inserts for the 1/4” plastic brake lines. They are supposed to fit tightly and require soaking in boiling water to enable full insertion. My inserts measure .133” diameter, but should be >.25”. Did any other builders have this problem? I will call Van’s tomorrow.

plastic tubing, like most flexible tubing, is identified based upon OD, not ID. A 1/4" nylon tube should be .250 OD. The ID will vary somewhat, but most of it is 1/8" or .125 to 130. A 133 sleeve will not easily fit in a 125 ID Nylon tube. All of the Vans brake systems use 1/4" tubing. It is ok if your insert slides in without force, as long is it is snug and looks like it is a size match. The ferrule ID will shrink and squeeze down the nylon tube when you tighten the nut.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. They sent the wrong tubing. I talked to a fellow builder who had the same problem. Our kits were shipped about the same time. I can literally drop the insert through the tubing and it will fall out the other end.

Back