What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICAO noise certificate

Fredrik

Fellow RV enthusiasts!

This is mainly directed to RV-10 owners in Europe, especially those countries that implement noise certification according to ICAO Annex 16 Chapter 10.

I have an RV-10 here in Sweden and I am finishing up my test phase of flying in the next few weeks.
To get a national airworthy certificate I need to have a noise certificate according to ICAO Annex 16 Chapter 10.
This has proven to be a bit difficult here, due to the lack of testing facilities/personnel.:(

Swedish Transport Agency, through Swedish EAA, has decided that it would be acceptable to reference an identical aircraft that have undertaken such noise measurement.

I'm now looking for help from any RV-10 owner that has done this test and is willing to share this information.

To be considered identical to mine, these criteria has to be met:
Same aircraft type - Van's RV-10
Same engine type - Lycoming 540
Same exhaust type - Vetterman 6 to 2 (standard)
Same propeller type - 2-bladed constant speed

Thank You!

Fredrik

This thread could be a good starting point, although neither of the RV-10s have exactly the same spec as yours.

You could also check the aircraft registry in each country but I think these are the only two RV-10s in Switzerland. I don't think the registry is public in Germany but there may be other countries. The noise certificate is not mandatory in the UK, so the UK registry is no good.

Another possibility might be that you could join one of the Swiss EAB noise testing sessions. Michael Wellenzohn (Rv-10 builder who started the above thread) may be able to connect you with the organisers.

Yes, I read that thread. I've been in contact with Michael whos's been very helpful.

BTW, I was in contact with LAA before I started this build. In Sweden (as in UK) you need to do a extensive technical survey on a first individual of any model. LAA was very helpful with providing their data for this.:)

ANMI

Hi Fredrik,

You can try ANMI anmi.info in The Netherlands.
I think they have measured two RV-10's so far. But I don't know if your specs are equal.
The are planning sessions this June and July. Planning will be subject to weather conditions and will be advised approx 5 days in advance.

Joop, thank you for that information!

The problem is that I can't fly outside Sweden FIR without national airwothy certificate, which I won't get until I have a noise certificate.:(

I have contacted ANMI and will see what they say.

Thanks,
Fredrik

Just for the benefit of the wider group. I performed the noise testing according to ICAO standards with max RPM 2500 and with standard Vetterman exhaust on an TMX-IO 540 and a 3-blade MT-Prop. With this setup I achieved the lowest noise certificate (D) in Switzerland with 77.5 db(A). Once I have access to the physical document I am happy to share it here. I know that for the two blade Hartzell prop an additional muffler like the Liese one is required to pass the test for the acceptable level.
Regards
Michael

Last edited:
Back