What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Oil Cooler Shutter Again

...hey guys, one last time. If the vernatherm doesn't open 'til the engine oil 'needs' it to, how is the cooler 'over-cooling' our oil so much?

OIL COOL = vernatherm open, oil flow through both cooler and cooler bypass.

OIL HOT = vernatherm closed, oil flow through cooler only.

Electronic Oil Cooler Shutter Control

Well, since I had an extra servo sitting around with nothing to do, I decided to see if I would have better luck controlling the oil cooler shutter with it instead of a mechanical push/pull cable.

I found that the throw of the servo matched the throw of the shutter almost perfectly. So, I mounted it and ran it through its paces and it seemed to work well. I wired a rocker switch and indicator temporarily until I could fly with it and see if it worked.

Servojpg.jpg

Since the OAT was 16*F today at 4500', I never had any reason to open the shutter! My oil temp did, however, make it to 171*F, which was better than before when I thought the shutter was closed, but found that the push/pull control wasn't really closing it all the way. The servo closes the shutter all the way, every time.

I did find, however, that the indicator only worked in the midrange. It maxed out long before the servo finished its travel. It's an older analog indicator, not the newer digital type. I may not even install the indicator anyway -- I figure that the oil temps will tell me whether to open or close the shutter. I really shouldn't need any indicator to tell me the status of the shutter.

I also cut a cooling hole in the baffle immediately fore of the servo to allow air to impact the mounting plate and keep the servo cooler, just in case it indeed gets too warm back there for the servo to work properly.

Back