What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuild left Fuel tank

dweyant

Well Known Member
I've finally had it with my left fuel tank leaking.

I've never been happy with it, so I'm just going to build a new tank.

I'm a much better builder (I think) than when I originally built them, so why not...

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions on the best way to do this to minimize down time. I'd like to build as much of the tanks as possible before I pull the old tank off the plane and replace it with the new one.

I have ordered all of the parts for a new tank from Van's and they should be here next week sometime.

Thanks,

-Dan

If you install a new fuel sender in the new tank instead of swapping out the original one replacing the tank is a one day affair, if that. Now this is with the assumption that all holes for mounting bolts and screws line up the same.....

Now this is with the assumption that all holes for mounting bolts and screws line up the same.....

yeah, that's gonna be the trick right there - getting the holes drilled in the Z-brackets in the correct location is going to be the fun part.

I would entertain the thought of pulling the existing tank, then laying a piece of scrap aluminum or similar along the original Z-brackets, clamp it in place and backdrill the holes to the scrap with a right-angle drill, then transfer the scrap to the new tank and drill the new Z-brackets. That should get you reasonably close.

Back