What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch and JPI EDM 740

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have a JPI EDM 740 engine monitor. My avionics are steam. I'm considering installing a Garmin G3X Touch with some other Garmin equipment.

I'd prefer not to redo the work to install all new engine monitoring probes and so forth.

What would be the downside of just leaving my JPI engine monitor in place, not buying the engine monitor and probe package for the Garmin G3X Touch.

Does the Garmin G3X need OAT for the avionics? Are there any other values that G3X would need that are part of the engine probe package?

It would save me a little money, but this is mostly about work.

Thanks,
Michael-

The only caveat is you have to either the eng box (GEA24) or the GAD27 to have discreet inputs like toga.
I run the G3X with the Electronics International engine monitor and like the setup very much.
I elected to install the GEA24 for the discreet inputs but also use some other functions like voltage for EICAS warnings.
Like you I already had the EI installed and saw no good reason to replace it.
The G3X does req OAT but that's part of the install package.
The MVP50 will soon be replaced by another G3X screen and the CGR30 on the left will become my sole engine monitor.
I also like that the separate eng monitor frees up screen space for other info.

IMG_7793-650.jpg

The only caveat is you have to either the eng box (GEA24) or the GAD27 to have discreet inputs like toga.
Hi Walt,

Just a reminder that the GMC 507 autopilot control panel includes a TO/GA input (pin 10), so you no longer have to have these other interfaces just to have a TO/GA button.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Walt,

Just a reminder that the GMC 507 autopilot control panel includes a TO/GA input (pin 10), so you no longer have to have these other interfaces just to have a TO/GA button.

Thanks,
Steve

Good point Steve, I do remember begging for an alternate TOGA input before the 507 was available, just came a little late for me.

I do use a few of the selectable discrete's though on the GEA24 in addition to the TOGA for other things like fuel pump and flap deployed indicators as well as a voltage alarm so I'm happy with the GEA24 even though I'm only using a fraction of it's potential.

Back