What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 wing change?

markserbu

I believe I read something in my searching about a change to the wing (or wing attachment?) which upped the +G-rating of the plane. The telltale sign was the moving of the landing lights from the wing leading edges to the fiberglass end caps. Is this true, and does anyone know what year this occurred? And what about the roll bar that I see in the later planes...when did that come about?

Thanks!

I have previously contacted the factory to confirm my RV-8 had a -1 variant wing.

The changeover happened in 2000, so if your kit was shipped after that time it will be a -1 with 1600lb aerobatic gross weight.

The factory can confirm if you supply either the kit serial number or the spar serial number (etched on the spar). Spar serial numbers greater than 8-869 are -1 .

G load.

All of the above and there was no change to the G-load recommendation for either wing only the 50 Lbs. more weight while operating in the Aro envelope.
The rear C.G. limit moves a little forward for Aro verses standard configuration limits. Be carful with those rear C.G. limits no matter what you fly and load up.
Just 2 pennies. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
P.S. Carl is correct as our Sn. is 888, but we were a slow build and waited tell the dash one wing came out before we got the wing kit. These wing are called dash one because at the end of the SN. they have a dash then the one after that.
They are both good to go, the dash one is just the up-date for the match hole per punch to the seven and eight. That wing is the same on both models.

Last edited:
Back