What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do You Mix Spark Plug Brands?

Do You Mix Spark Plugs Brands?

• One brand only

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • I use two brands

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • More then two brands

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Vlad

Well Known Member
Do you use different brands of spark plugs or stick to one brand you trust? Do you change them all at once?

Do you use different brands of spark plugs or stick to one brand you trust? Do you change them all at once?

I prefer one brand and like to change them all at once. The old Autolite now Tempest is the aircraft plug of choice.

I originally started flying with cheap Auburn plugs that are no longer in production. They were breaking (chips of ceramic) and were replaced with another brand (Champion) one by one as they failed.

On the massive electrode aircraft plugs, one can use an erosion gauge to check for when they are worn out. One should also be checking resistance to make sure that is also in spec.
12-00791.jpg

I now buy Tempest aircraft plugs, fired by Magneto. I use auto plugs with the Pmag, they are Autolite 386 for the O-290, & NGK BR9ES for the O-360.
In a pinch, I don't mind mixing Champion, Autolite, Tempest, Auburn or other FAA approved spark plugs as long as they match the heat range of the others, and run well (EGT & CHT).
I also use Philips XC 20/50 oil, but don't mind adding a quart of Aeroshell or Exxon Elite if that's what is available at the FBO when traveling.

Back