What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XP-IO-360 vertical draft install references?

Modified Arm works fine

The arm has to be modified as shown previously in the thread. AFP has an arm they will sell you for $100 that looks like it would work, but I found it easier to modify mine and have it TIG welded. I have about 3/4" of clearance.
85 hours no issues.
Curious though, whey would those with Horizontal injection care as this issue does not affect them, only Vertical injection?

I meant vertical

JonJay, in my last post I meant to say vertical, but typed in horizontal.

It seems to be a consensus that if you use the precision fuel injection on a vertical draft 360 engine, you will have to modify the mixture arm or buy the straight one from precision, in order to avoid the arm hitting the side of the cowling. :(

It seems to be a consensus that if you use the precision fuel injection on a vertical draft 360 engine, you will have to modify the mixture arm or buy the straight one from precision, in order to avoid the arm hitting the side of the cowling. :(

No consensus here. Mine has plenty of clearance in the normal, arm down, configuration. I moved my FAB to the right 1/2 inch by making a new mount plate and I did use the Van's cut out. The move was to get enough clearance between the FAB body and cowling. Post shift, the arm doesn't extend past the FAB in it's normal position.

Mine came with a straight arm. I guess those intended for an arm-up configuration come with a joggled arm by the looks in Rudi's pictures. Needed to clear the high points it rotates by?

Jekyll
7A, TMX-IO-360 (B1B) Precision FI

Edit: Sorry Tony, you did say straight arm, maybe there is a consensus.

Last edited:
a bit more info for the mix

I have been scratching my head over this install (Precision Silver Hawk install on a vertical induction 360 RV-6A) from the point of view of figuring our what to order from Van's as firewall forward, and what to specify to the engine builder re. the servo arms (straight, offset, length, reverse rotation or not). In speaking to the engine builder, to Van's, and to Precision, I can add the following information to the discussion. Being only at the ordering stage, I can't say what works.
However, for what it is worth:
Precision cannot say what will work and what will not - they say they have no access to an RV, and have not tried to design a kit specifically for any model or configuration. (Seems a real loss of an opportunity for them, but their call of course.)
Precision does say that they think most RV builders order a reverse rotation servo arm, and that four levers (builder's choice) are available, 1.625? and 2?, offset and straight. Precision could not suggest which one was likely to be the best fit for an RV, but did offer to exchange what I ordered if I decided it was the wrong one.
Van's say in response to the question of what modifications to the firewall forward kit are required for a vertical induction 360 fuel injection, that they don't know, they have never done a vertical fuel injection engine. They do however supply a different cable bracket that might be useful, and a VA-131-Q kit to modify the FAB to create a clearance where one might be needed, depending on what mixture bracket one picks. They can offer no advice on cable lengths.
The engine builder says that most RV builders specify a reverse rotation mixture control on the servo, and that no spacer is required if one uses that.
An RV builder I discussed this with had done a successful install with the normal rotation servo, using the VA-131-Q cut out and remaking the top mount plate, and no spacer, and suggests this is not difficult and the way to go.
So, there is where it sits for the moment. Clearly there are different ways to approach this, and it can be done. The various posts to this list underline what an incredible resource this list is (or more precisely, this list and the members who have gone before and are prepared to share their experiences, particularly with things like this.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A in progress

Bill:

The mixture cable bracket is the standard carb bracket. It fits the vertical set up with no modification.

Also I failed to mention I needed a longer mixture cable over the standard carb set up. I needed to order a 50.5. A 49 inch cable would have been better but Vans changed the selections available. Spruce will make one any lenght you desire but the price is 4 times as much for a special order.

Jekyll

pictures

My TMX-I/O360 has the Silverhawk and to cure the problem of the arm hitting the FAB I made a 1" spacer using a commercial grade cutting board that is chemical & heat resistant. It goes between the bottom of the throttle body and the FAB and will give the clearance needed for the mixture arm. Simple and took only an hour to make.

I'll post some pics over the weekend if anyone is interested.

I am new @ this Webb site and I am having the same problem, Can you send pictures to [email protected] or let me know where I can view the pictures.

Thank you
Bubba

This is an old thread, but I think I need the spacer shown in the photos of RudyGrayling's post #39. Does any one know if this is a composite spacer & is it commercially available? I've been having some heat issues with an AFP injection system on my RV-7. A composite spacer that's known to hold up in service would probably help.
Bob

Back