VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 AM

SAH WEET!!!!! It makes it more interesting to watch this trip since we got to see you guys at Watumpka. I wanna go down there sometime.
Fisher Classic Cassler Power VW
RV-8 700+hrs Borrowed
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/

VAF dues reminder June '17

Last edited by Weasel : 04-10-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM

Robin and I can almost smell the salt air. We can't wait to get down there!

Let me know if you guys need me to ferry anything over. Like an alternator. We'll be departing NC on Friday (if the weather allows).

Greg
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Default Wednesday

Somehow it seems that my update from last night disappeared after posting, so I'll try again.
I can't post all the pictures inline, so go see the album of about 40 images from Wed. if you care to: https://picasaweb.google.com/1004997...eat=directlink

Wednesday on the island is almost in the books. We woke up with the sun around 6:45am after a good night’s sleep. Any intermittent waking moments are greeted by the sound of the waves crashing against the shore about thirty-five feet away. Tanya ran over to a little store one block away for some eggs and made eggs and toast for breakfast. Ooh, it even came with my favorite, Coke. Mmmmm.

Island time has really slowed things down. Work is quiet. Yes, they can still get a hold of me. Plenty of sitting on the beach listening to the waves and enjoying the soft island breeze. Around 9am I caught some pictures from the beach of the morning dive group going out. The dive site was within distant sight of the hotel at a couple of miles up the shore and about one mile offshore. The site is where the shelf drops off into the deep blue. Pretty cool stuff.

Lunch was leftovers warmed up in the microwave from last night’s dinner. Lobster mac-n-cheese and curry beef. Both very good. We sauntered the 50 paces over to the dive shop to get setup with some fins and wet suits for out scuba dive at 1pm. This is a massive difference in dive shop experience compared to Exuma a couple of years ago. It is full service here at Blue Water Diving. Mitch looked at Tanya and I and instantly handed each of us fins and a wet suit. “Hi how are you guys doing today.” Great! “Here, try these on.” Perfect fit. “Excellent, we’ll put those in this bag and they’ll be ready. You’re BC, tanks, and regulators will be assembled and on the boat when you get there.” Wow. Sure enough, the dive boat pulled up on the beach right outside our room, we loaded up and off we went for the five minute boat ride to the dive site. Of course, talking RVs with the dive masters all the way.

Our dive today was perfect for us (me). We had not been diving since Exuma two years ago. Tanya instantly lost her snorkel upon entry, but it was only about 35’ deep there with perfect visibility, so it was easily retrieved. The dive master picked it up and used the right orange top as a pointer for the dive. The super cool thing that we saw was a maybe teeny-tiny ghost pipefish. At least that is what we think it was. Tanya and I were consistently tracking with the same air usage during the first half of the dive. Then she got the shivers (with a full wet suit) and started blowing through air. Amazingly she came up with 500 and I 1k psi. All fun. Sorry, I’m still not a diving junkie like the guy sitting across the table from me right now (Rosie).

Back on shore, we were dropped off back at the same spot, spitting distance to our room. Still amazing ☺. We got a quick snack that we brought with us, triscuits and peanut butter. Yum, as most anything would be after a dive. So, what is the next plan. Beer! Four minute walk to the local store for a case of beer and coke. Major success in less than ten minutes. Can you tell how island time has affected the concept of time, space, and accomplishment?

The usual din was emanating from the pool area, so we made our way to the party with a cold beverage in hand. We told our dive lies and listened to the land-lubbers stories of the day. Then it was time for the mandatory group photo. We lined up on the beach and hoodwinked a newlywed couple into taking the picture for us. They did great. Scott realized the scene behind them and had them pose for what is sure to be a superb photo for their album.

The night dive crew left about 7pm, and the rest of us cruised to the hotel restaurant for a tasty dinner off of a Weber grill and live music from the owner of our dive shop. Well, you know, it IS a small island. After downing another gallon of water among a few of us, apparently the ‘hard stuff’ was too much as a glass of water flowed across the table.

Back to the patio for some more visiting and to confirm that Rosie was all set with his picture uploads.

Headed out for a night dive.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 04-11-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Default Thursday

Enough said.

Morning dive tomorrow. Maybe more words here after that. Until then, the rest of the pictures and captions from today: https://picasaweb.google.com/1004997...eat=directlink
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Default First half of Friday

Friday picture album so far: https://picasaweb.google.com/1004997...eat=directlink

Friday is progressing nicely since it is now nap time. This morning Rosie, Keys, 0p1e, Shark Bait, and Jailbird departed for the airport around 7:45am. They were wheels up over the beach around 10 something. I hear that Rosie was doing his usual yapping with the tower folk, taking pictures. Tanya and I were on the 9am dive at the time. After getting back, we noticed that internet data throughput was actually very good. One of them must have been the culprit of all of the pain we’ve been suffering. Ok, maybe it was another guest that left at the same time (doubtful, you guys should check your stuff on the rest of your trip since I already noticed that Rosie’s laptop was trying to pull updates and killed that for the duration.) Hmmm, we should whip up a script for a OS mode for ‘users’ called ‘minimum bandwidth’ that kills all the silly network usage while on the road… Sigh, back to vacation.

We had a nice dive with the boat picking us up right out the back door on "our" beach. Tanya wore two wetsuits this time since she got so cold last time. It helped. I used some more weight this time, which also helped. As you might know my general w/b is all out of whack ☺.

After the dive and a quick recovery it was time to lounge on the beach a little before noon. First order of business, since Rosie is no longer here to … ok, I’ll say it, tell us what to do ☺, (We love you man!) was to figure out what the dinner plan was. Check. After Tanya noticed the opportunity, we found our victims for THE bottle of champagne. Quick quiz, how to you kill an old cheap bottle of champagne in the afternoon.. mimosas of course. This party is in full swing now on the beach. There is meaning here to be discovered at a distant date. I took the pleasure of making sure the bottom of the bottle had been appropriately emptied. Hey, somebody has to. All the while watching the next cruise ship come in for the day. It sounds like we have one cruise ship inbound each day until Sunday. Luckily they dock on the other end of the island. We don’t really feel the impact of those darn tourists ( ☺.) here, except for the tour busses passing by into town.

Chilling in a chair watching the waves wash ashore on my second screwdriver ready to go find, or as I’ve learned from Rosie, generate some excitement. Oh, yeah, bikinis are GOOD!

The party continues on Grand Turk.

Last edited by scard : 04-18-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM

OMG you guys are kill'n me........ "VAF Envy".... ;-)
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
Build Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9av8tr View Post
OMG you guys are kill'n me........ "VAF Envy".... ;-)
Saddle up big boy . I know of a few flight leads that are around to guide you. It is ok to just follow, that is what I do. Heck, I'm just here because I wanted to watch the machine I built in the garage operate. It seems that no place is too far for an RV.

As usual, a table for at least 10 in a couple of hours for dinner. Tomorrow, Dave and Randy are going to burn some precious fuel to fly some locals around the island.

It looks like Rosie and group made it to BVI via the Dominican Republic.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM

I'm ready, would have gone along in a heart beat if I had known! Maybe next trip down...
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
Build Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM

This is really great, enjoying every update. We are going to plan on going in April 2015. The kids will be 11 and 9 and much better swimmers. If you guys go again, then count us in. Unless Canucks are banned, Lol. It looks very relaxing. My wife has this as high on our bucket list as places to fly to.

RV10 Built and Flying Since Feb 2009
750hrs Plus
CC EX-2 Flying
SuperSTOL Built and Sold
RV9 Built and Sold
Avid Aerobat Built and Sold
Dues paid 2016
New Family Travel (B)Log: http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 PM

Win!

Here we got this