VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM

The French-Broad Chocolate Lounge is the place I've been. I couldn't imagine having a choice after experiencing that place.
Oak Ridge,TN
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Ice Cream

I don't know if Rosie has had his requisite vacation ice cream for today, but I've had mine while sitting in a comfy chair surveying acres of pasture at the Biltmore. In case you don't know, he brainwashed me with the idea that it just isn't a vacation or trip worth having if there isn't ice cream. (Yes, master, I will comply.)

RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Turks Day -2

After some morning munchies, we made our way to the highly-anticipated Biltmore. The house and grounds were nice, but we were either expecting too much based on all the hoopla or we were here at the wrong time.

We strolled through the house, planned gardens, manicured lawns, greenhouses, and several of the paths. We also toured the Antler Hill Village. Unfortunately, our highlights were lunch at the Stable Café and a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a view. Guess we in the minority for this tourist attraction.

Our second attempt at Honey Tupelo panned out, and dinner was quite tasty. After a slight stroll through Downtown, we stopped for the recommended chocolate. Caramel, cashew, and milk chocolate. Well worth the evil eye coming from my walking partner.

Tomorrow is the final push for south Florida to meet up with the over-water crew. Looks like it will be an IFR departure from Asheville with marginal VFR forecast. Sure is nice to not have to choose between scud running down an unfamiliar valley or having to explain to Rosie that our detour caused us to be late.

More pictures from Day 2, starting at photo 32, but none from the main house as photographs are not permitted inside.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 AM

You kind of have to take one of the tours (like the Butler's Tour) to get the inside story on each of the rooms, the history, etc. Makes it much more meaningful. Like seeing Napoleon's actual chess set in the Library. Hard to pick out some of that stuff without a tour. I think just the fact that a place like that was built back in the early 1900's is amazing.

Enjoying your and Rosie's travelogue, wishing I was going too.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, DRIVING
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the report. I hope you guys have a great time and that we can join you next time!

Guy
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Forum Peruser

Congratulations to Scott and Tanya! Looks like they got to Homestead about an hour before the Rosales(es) [Anybody know what the plural of Rosales is?]

But, Rosie and Tuppergal made a stop (probably for lunch) in Key West!

What amazing machines you guys and gals have!

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM

All are accounted for in Homestead. We launched out of Asheville NC this morning on an IFR flight plan direct to Williston FL for fuel and a quick sandwich. Good fuel stop. We got a number of funny re-routes along the way, but just rolled with the punches as it was so much easier than dodging clouds and actually having to think .

The island flight briefing is now complete with all involved. Too pooped to be creative. This pretty much concludes my PIC time for a while. I have been doing all of the flying up to this point. I now hand the keys over to Tanya for all international operations (she is flight lead for our flight). More pictures from today in Rosie's thread and my other links above.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 AM

5:30am wakeup call this morning. 6:30 rolling toward the airport... eeerrrrrrr...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Default Island time

Greetings from Grand Turk!

We all got breakfast this morning at 6am. The vans started rolling at 6:30am sharp. Luckily I was in possession of one of the keys. We proved, accidentally, that 6:30 means 6:30, NOT 6:32am! Another driver left two of his peeps and we picked up the slack with retrieval. At the airport as the sun was coming up was great. Everybody taking care of last minute business and donning their flotation devices for the obligatory picture.

We launched four separate flights at approximately ten minute intervals. Almost immediately off of Homestead, you enter the AFB class D. So, in a very short span, you’re collecting up your wingmen, contacting the class D controller to ask to fly through his airspace, talking to flight service to open each flight plan… You get the picture, this takes six hands and eight radios to accomplish all within about the first 45 seconds.

We did a nice easy climb up to 9500’ for the cruise across the ADIZ out to sea. Next land would be Andros Island. We managed the flight and ourselves successfully. Here we noticed a bag of chips that had expanded. As we got closer to Exuma, there were cumulus buildups and a pretty solid layer formed at around 10000’. Up to 11.5k’ we went. Easy cheesy. As this goes, yep, later on down the road, about 150mi from Provo, our first stop, we got pushed up further to 13.5k’ for a little while. No big deal, these were just buildups and not huge towering thunder boomers. Chugging along, not real exciting. POP! From the baggage compartment. Not something that you usually prefer to hear at 13.5 over the ocean. Tanya and I looked at each other and immediately smiled as the smell of Harvest Chedder Sun Chips filled the cockpit. Yup, we’ve done that many times before too.

Out of 13.5k’ we start down toward Provo, contact approach, make miles of spacing in extended trail (don’t ask) for the arrival. We all landed in Provo and were greeted with the red carpet treatment. Amazing!

The Provo Air Center had all of our paperwork completed, ready for signature. They whisked us through customs, added go-juice to our airplanes, and had us out the door in what we’ve been told is record time. Alpha and Bravo flights launched, albeit very slowly because they had to wait even if landing traffic was 10 miles out. We knew we could launch a fight of 15 with a plane on 10-mile final, but the controller didn’t quite have that same confidence that even one airplane could get off the ground.

As Charlie flight, we waited until they had all launched before firing up due to the long delay. After about 15 minutes of waiting with engines running, we learned we also had to wait for Alpha and Bravo flights to be handed off for arrival at Grand Turk, about 65 miles away. Needless to say, that was frustrating. We were finally off the ground about 5 minutes later with oil temps and CHTs on the high side. The wait on the ground caused our wingman’s alternator to blow a circuit breaker. We stayed on his wing, handled all the radio communication for both of us until about 10 miles out, and made sure he had wheels on the ground first. The alternator came back to life after cooling off, but it isn’t always that easy. Exactly why we fly in teams.

All four flights were marshaled off the runway and parked off to the side. Time to grab the tie down stakes and BAH (Big, um…Armed – yeah, that’s it, Hammer) to get them pounded in to the coral ground. No room here for wimpy stakes. We all piled into two large vans for the short one-mile trip to the hotel. It took all of 5 minutes for the instigator of the trip to make his way into the pool. That was all the suggestion we needed, and into the water we went.

A good part of our crew made their way to the beverage establishment by the pool overlooking the ocean and relived the excitement. After a short briefing with the dive organizer for the next day, it was time to find dinner and rest up for tomorrow.

Bed time. Let the adventure begin! (oh, it already has.)

Data service here almost works but is impossibly slow so I’ll just provide a link to a few low res pictures.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1004997...eat=directlink

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Forum Peruser

Enjoyed the report, Scott. Relax and enjoy the vacation.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life