- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I hope Foxtrot Flight from cold Northeast will join your group on next trip.
At the rate I feel like I'm building, the group will be so big by the time I'm finished I'll be lucky to make Zulu flight.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
On your way down from the Biltmore, Louisville (2J3), your route will be close to me and if you don't mind, I'll tag along to Clearwater.

Best,

From Rosie: That looks do-able Pierre...let's work it! Will check in ;-)

Pierre,
Why don't you fly over to KRYY on the 28th and join Rosie, Tuppergal and me for lunch? Barbeque at Smokey Bones.
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
Words cannot describe how jealous I am. Talk about motivation!

Have a great trip, y'all! Anybody going to be using APRS so we can watch your progress? From Rosie: No APRS that I know of but I will be using my SPOT Tracker . On second thought, I think the Cards have APRS...
We'll be streaming APRS packets (aprs link) the whole time as always. It will be interesting to see how far they are picked up. Our plan is to depart Austin (GTU) Sunday 5/29 morning. We'll first be headed south to San Antonio to drop off the dog at my mom's house. Then to ... Tanya is still struggling with that plan. Maybe New Orleans or Pensacoloa. Then Monday afternoon to the Tampa area (KTPF). Tuesday morning we hook up at Venice for fuel for the run to Key West for lunch. From there, we're synchronized with "Rosie time". We can't wait!
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 05-20-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Rosie,
There's a Lambert's in Foley also in case you didn't know that. From Rosie: No coincidence there Paul. Care to join us? :-)
Huh . We're not quite as organized as Paul and were just looking at what to do with the 1400mi. return trip. We may be crashing this party on the return.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Default one more jealous follower...l

i am among the legions of jealous followers this year and hope to get a slot in one of the flights next year. this is what RVs are FOR! y'all be safe and have fun! don olandese (RV9 nearing inspection)
Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
VAF Moderator

Default Alpha Flight Checking in.

This will be the 10 year anniversary of Alpha Flight. In 2001 Alpha Flight flew to Pittstown Point on Crooked Island. Jim and Vicki Baker, Laird Owens and Gary and Carolyn Zilik made the trip in the rain, over the ocean. We're hoping for a little better weather this time.

One week to go to departure time. Friday the 27th will see us leaving Denver for east TX for a visit with my Dad. Then its off to Covington, LA to visit friends we have not seen for many years. Tuesday we'll leave LA and head for southern Florida and meet up with the rest of the group.

Everyone please cross your fingers for good weather.
RV-3B Tail, wings and fuselage.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Godspeed Paul and Victoria, your adventure starts soon. We still have to slug through another week of real work... This weekend we will be doing our max gross, aft cg refresh test flights.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Saturday (5/28): Depart Ashville to Atlanta (GA) for lunch with Michael "Moose" White then to ???? (my original plans just changed so not sure where we are going to end up…)
If you want to stick around Atlanta after lunch, I can treat you to a Braves game Saturday night (vs. Cincinnatti) too...
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved

Last edited by Michael White : 05-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Rosie,
There's a Lambert's in Foley also in case you didn't know that. From Rosie: No coincidence there Paul. Care to join us? :-)
Rosie,
Though my 9A won't be done in time, I'd love to join you. I have an airplane to fly though it's not an RV. Surely one spam can won't ruin the party!! Give me a heads up and I'd love to join you for lunch or dinner. From Rosie: You got a deal Paul
SERFI 2013 Awards
Inspection Complete!!! 7/7/12
First Flight 7/22/12

Last edited by Rosie : 05-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 1: Arrived Safely to Cleveland, OK

Hi All,
Just now finding an internet connection... We had a great day of flying, departing Rosamond Skypark at 0612 local, landing St. Johns (AZ) 2:46 later. Nice, smooth ride at 9.5K with 162 KTAS but little tailwind :-( Fueled then continued into Dalhart (TX) at 11.5K, bumpy ride all the way there.

Same speed into DHT for a 2:10 flight leg. Fueled then had a great lunch with Cecil Ingram, 86 years young! He's been in business there over 40 years, and the small diner/cafe on-field there is a MUST-EAT stop! There is no end to his flying stories: On having an air-taxi service in the early 70s, "I was either flying men who were chasing women or flying men running away from them!"

Departed DHT then back up to 9.5K, bumpy with same speeds (sure wanted to see some tailwind!). Landed Cleveland (OK) 1:45 later for a nearly 7 hour day on the hobbs meter.

Visiting here with my adopted step-mom and will continue east into Grove (OK) midday to visit some former Rosamond Skypark neighbors.

I need to check some weather to see if our intinerary still holds up. I'll update this tomorrow when I can find a DSL connection (am on dial-up).

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Here's the Rosamond Skypark departing on the downwind eastbound at sunrise.
Pics between here and St. Johns (AZ) don't look so great when taken early morning over the desert...everything is brown.

Here's the approach into St. Johns (SJN), AZ:

Beautiful skies heading over New Mexico to Dalhart (DHT), TX:

You know you have reached the Texas borders when you fly past the crop circles:

Here's the biggest cloud we saw all day:

Final approach into Cleveland (95F), OK

Garmin 496 flight times:

Last edited by Rosie : 05-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.