VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Great job guys we want to see more videos.
Merry Chirstmas
Dues Paid 2017
Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 AM

I love that you guys know what "hobo dinners" are!! Perfect camping meal for sure. Great video, I can't wait to make the same trip in our ten!
N127TL Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2016 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 12-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Great editing. You made the approach into Johnson creek look easy. Was it? Any gottcha's you can share?

When you went to town, where'd you go? McCall maybe?

Thanks for sharing. It's on my list. My cousin has a cabin a few miles from there.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Default video

Great Video....Thanks for sharing.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU
Old 12-23-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I'm a flatlander! Most of my flights don't need O2, so I didn't want a built in system taking up weight on every trip (and costing more). I have a 4 place portable MH system on my shopping list.

And we did borrow an O2 system for this trip. We were at 13,500 for a while, and even at 11,500, it was nice to take the edge off.

Exactly why I built a hybrid MH system, I've got the O2D2s (pulse demand box) in the center console, the remote regulator switch, and everything plumbed, BUT the O2 bottle is in my baggage compartment and comes out in 2 secs when I don't need it... but even living at sea level I use it all the time. If I'm going more than 1 hour away, I'm usually at 11-12k for efficiency... really anything above 10k I like to use the O2. Makes you less tired once you're on the ground.....
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Lead on the
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
2017 Dues Paid"
Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Great editing. You made the approach into Johnson creek look easy. Was it? Any gottcha's you can share?

When you went to town, where'd you go? McCall maybe?

Thanks for sharing. It's on my list. My cousin has a cabin a few miles from there.
The approach was pretty straight forward, but following someone who really knows the place (thanks Sean!) took some of the stress out of the whole thing. The only gotcha that I really noticed was making the turn to base late in the day. You turn directly into the sun, and have a steep slope in front of you that's in shade. Make sure your windscreen is clean!

And the run into town was to Cascade... for a thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelabel View Post
Exactly why I built a hybrid MH system, I've got the O2D2s (pulse demand box) in the center console, the remote regulator switch, and everything plumbed, BUT the O2 bottle is in my baggage compartment and comes out in 2 secs when I don't need it... but even living at sea level I use it all the time. If I'm going more than 1 hour away, I'm usually at 11-12k for efficiency... really anything above 10k I like to use the O2. Makes you less tired once you're on the ground.....
That's a good idea... I might have to investigate that hybrid setup. The one thing I didn't like about the O2 system we used was that there was tubing EVERYWHERE. It was a big tangled mess. It might be nice to keep as much of the tubing neatly "installed" in the plane as possible...
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build Blog and Travel Videos
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelabel View Post
Can you explain a bit about what you mean by a "hybrid" system?